Phototherapy

Chat, questions, suggestions and comments about Psoriasis and psoriasis treatments go in here.

Phototherapy

Postby AznBoi101210 » Fri Mar 24, 2006 1:54 pm

If someone has done phototherapy, I was wondering if you could describe to me what they do. I am willing to try it, but I am afraid of showing it, even in front of family. This is extremely hard to do since I am only 14, but I have felt this sickness makes me 80. I have it in most parts of my body and luckily my "special someone" actually understands... I am hoping this phototherapy will help, but I just wanted to know what they do.
AznBoi101210

RE: Phototherapy

Postby carblazehell » Tue Mar 28, 2006 12:00 am

I have just started phototherapy at my dermotologist's office. It has only been a week, but I am starting to see a very small difference. I understand what you mean about being embarrassed about people seeing your psoriasis lesions, but you can't stop living just because your skin is less than clear. Personally, I am willing to try just about anything the doctor recommends. I think this phototherapy sounds promising, because it slows the rapid growth of skin, and I don't have to try to put any creams or ointments all over my body (it is hard to put cream on your own back). The only drawback is that I have to go 3 times a week for an undetermined length of time. My feeling is this: If it helps, it's worth the time and money.
carblazehell

Postby AznBoi101210 » Tue Mar 28, 2006 1:04 pm

Ah thanks. I was wondering if you could tell me the price they are charging you because I am scared about that $$$. Also, do they monitor you during the phototherapy, or is it like a tanning bed? I have no idea so, I'd like a beter view of it
AznBoi101210

Phototherapy

Postby carblazehell » Tue Mar 28, 2006 10:04 pm

At my dermo's office they charge me $10 per treatment, which is not too bad. I just found out that I only have to do this for 2 months (assuming it works as it should). The way it works for me, I go three times a week - I don't need an appointment. They take me to the little room and set up the machine. I begin when I am ready, and stand in a tube covered with lights on all sides for however long they programmed the machine to run. Then I am done and I can go. It's pretty simple, just inconvenient.
carblazehell

phototheray

Postby sabinesdragon » Sat Apr 08, 2006 3:46 pm

hey i started really young and had it every where i know what it's like my doc was way cool no one was in the booth with me and i was allowed to cover the small window with my towel. my co-pays were pretty small in the beginning and then eventually i got lucky and my parents insurance paid 85% of my own booth for UV treatment at home but this was in the 80's when i was having to drive like 2 hrs away every other day for treatment. but it put my psoriasis into remission with a quickness and it turned my life around. if you can afford it go for it. and as long as you have the support of your special someone, i know you can do it! Be strong, cause it can only get better with this treatment!
sabinesdragon

Re: phototheray

Postby waffnap » Mon May 01, 2006 5:01 am

I had this treatment last summer three times a week over a six week period. I was fortunate as I was refered to the hospital by my dermatologist and the cost was nothing. It was great, my arms were clear and I didn't feel concious of showing my arms for the first time in five years. The legs are the most difficult part of the body to clear apparently and although this area did improve it is still there. I would definately have this Treatment again it felt like a miracle if only for a short while.
Little light, shining........
waffnap
Power ranger

Postby Nick Balgowan » Mon May 01, 2006 9:02 am

waffnap wrote:I had this treatment last summer three times a week over a six week period. I was fortunate as I was refered to the hospital by my dermatologist and the cost was nothing. It was great, my arms were clear and I didn't feel concious of showing my arms for the first time in five years. The legs are the most difficult part of the body to clear apparently and although this area did improve it is still there. I would definately have this Treatment again it felt like a miracle if only for a short while.

yes, clinical phototherapy is fantastic, especially if free at a hospital, but like most treatments, it needs to be continued. Otherwise another intensive program is required further down the track. Less intense and more frequent treatment is ultmately safer and more effective. Although after the initial intensive treatments, a less frequent program can be adopted. But without this followup maintenance program, the psoriasis generally returns.
Nick Balgowan.
----------------------------------------
http://www.tcgindustrial.com.au
http://www.dermaray.com
http://www.beatpsoriasis.com
Nick Balgowan
Site Admin

Postby waffnap » Mon May 01, 2006 4:54 pm

I guess I am lucky living here to be able to have this treatment free of charge. It is very time consuming especially with working full time trying to fit the treatment in. I have had two sessions over the last two years and was very impressed with parts that cleared but for me personally the psoriasis came back with a vengance on the legs. It felt so good even if only for a few months to feel just like everyone else and not get stared at.
waffnap
Power ranger

Hey!

Postby leesgurl21 » Tue May 09, 2006 2:38 pm

What are the risk with this treatment? Is there risk of cancer or anything like that? :?:
leesgurl21

Postby AznBoi101210 » Wed May 10, 2006 5:51 am

Does anyone know any good medications that I can apply on the skin such as creams to reduce the purpleness? I really need something to help it, because it is smooth but it is really purple o_0
AznBoi101210

Postby waffnap » Fri May 12, 2006 3:37 am

Hello there
I found E45 lotion (not cream) was a great help it's not greasy at all I found it helped with the burning also.
Hope you find something that helps you real soon
Jules :)
waffnap
Power ranger

Postby hkluth » Thu May 18, 2006 11:32 pm

Hi - I'm new here so I haven't read through everything yet. I'm just starting the Phototherapy too (only 2 very short treatments so far). I have PA and the psoriasis is on my hands only. Unfortunately, it is all ten fingers and the palms - so trying to do anything with my hands is painful and difficult.

My Dermatologist has me putting on an ointment with 10 mg CP Oxsoralen Ultra mixed into it about half an hour before doing the UVB Light Therapy. The ointment is to make the light work better. I'll be doing this treatment starting at 1 minute and increasing an extra minute with each time until I'm up to 12 minutes at a sitting. They tell me that it takes up to 20 treatments before I'll notice any changes so it's too soon yet to know if this will work.

So far since being diagnosed a year ago, I've tried lots of herbal remedies, lotions and creams to moisturize and then moved to antibiotics, steriod creams prescribed by my doctor. She referred me to the Dermatologist I'm seeing now and since there we've tried Clobex lotion, Clobex spray, Enbrel injections and now the light therapy. If this doesn't work, she wants me to try a series of Chemotherapy drugs :shock: - not something I'm looking forward to...

Do we have anyone with RA here that has been cured or put into remission with Phototherapy?
~ Heather ~
hkluth

Postby Nick Balgowan » Fri May 19, 2006 8:13 am

hkluth wrote:Hi - I'm new here so I haven't read through everything yet. I'm just starting the Phototherapy too (only 2 very short treatments so far). I have PA and the psoriasis is on my hands only. Unfortunately, it is all ten fingers and the palms - so trying to do anything with my hands is painful and difficult.

My Dermatologist has me putting on an ointment with 10 mg CP Oxsoralen Ultra mixed into it about half an hour before doing the UVB Light Therapy. The ointment is to make the light work better. I'll be doing this treatment starting at 1 minute and increasing an extra minute with each time until I'm up to 12 minutes at a sitting. They tell me that it takes up to 20 treatments before I'll notice any changes so it's too soon yet to know if this will work.

So far since being diagnosed a year ago, I've tried lots of herbal remedies, lotions and creams to moisturize and then moved to antibiotics, steriod creams prescribed by my doctor. She referred me to the Dermatologist I'm seeing now and since there we've tried Clobex lotion, Clobex spray, Enbrel injections and now the light therapy. If this doesn't work, she wants me to try a series of Chemotherapy drugs :shock: - not something I'm looking forward to...

Do we have anyone with RA here that has been cured or put into remission with Phototherapy?

Hello,

Chemotherapy is typically reserve for debilertating psoriasis WITH associated arthritis. I am not aware of Chemotherapy being used just to treat psoriasis, but I am sure it would have happened in some cases. It is not uncommon to use topical or oral medication to induce photosensitivity to UB light, to speed the treatment program. Although weather this is good or bad in the long run is probably unknown. It has been shown that the drugs used in PUVA may have other long term side effetcs. A natural photosensitising agent is actually Cellary.........
Nick Balgowan.
http://www.tcgindustrial.com.au
http://www.dermaray.com
http://www.beatpsoriasis.com
Nick Balgowan
Site Admin

Re: Phototherapy

Postby BigDaddy » Sun Aug 20, 2006 9:15 pm

AznBoi101210 wrote:If someone has done phototherapy, I was wondering if you could describe to me what they do. I am willing to try it, but I am afraid of showing it, even in front of family. This is extremely hard to do since I am only 14, but I have felt this sickness makes me 80. I have it in most parts of my body and luckily my "special someone" actually understands... I am hoping this phototherapy will help, but I just wanted to know what they do.

hi aznboi101210 - I had phototherapy a while ago in a clinic and it is just like going to a tanning salon, except the nurses are not as nice :oops:
BigDaddy
Power ranger

Re: Hey!

Postby BigDaddy » Sun Aug 20, 2006 9:17 pm

leesgurl21 wrote:What are the risk with this treatment? Is there risk of cancer or anything like that? :?:

I was told by my doctor that if you do not burn yourself there is almost no chance of skin cancer with phototherapy.
BigDaddy
Power ranger

Return to Psoriasis chatter