Scratching?

Chat, questions, suggestions and comments about Psoriasis and psoriasis treatments go in here.

Scratching?

Postby les » Wed Oct 18, 2006 8:50 am

Hi everyone.
I just signed up today because I've been doing some web research on psoriasis and I found looking through the topics on this board very useful, as well as the members seemingly very friendly.
I don't have psoriasis, but my fiance does. She's had it for I guess about half a year now, and at first was told it was alergies, and then an infection [as it first was only on one eyelid] but since then she has developed more and more problem spots that seem to start in places where her skin is irritated and at times she is stressed out. [ie. on her back where the metal adjusters for her bra strap sat, or when some jerk tried to rob us] I can't even imagine how hard this is on her, becuase I'm quite stressed about it and I don't even have it! and then her dr tells of arthritis that could develope later yet! ugh.. she's tried to eat more healthy, but it's just too hard living with me [I eat poorly, lots of junk food] I tried to diet with her but it's hard for me and as soon as I fall off she does too. Today I was looking for help becuase she phoned me from Vancouver saying the stuffs broken out all over her and she can't even concentrate on work it itches so bad. the poor thing, I wish there was somthing I could do for her. which is funny coz the dr told her a wet climate helps, and after moving to calgary [a very dry city] to live with me, she was blaming that the most. as guilty as it makes me I feel better knowing she had a break out in vancouver.
I just feel so awful for her coz its making her kinda self consious even around ME! I just wanted to know from you what kind of support you would appreciate most being ones with psoriasis. would you recommend getting a 2nd opinion from another dr [its what I 1st thought maybe the dr was wrong, but researching has been pointing to her being right] also its taking FOREVER to get to see a dermatologist for her.
the worst part is that she's always scratching! and I really believe that it's making it worse when she does becuase it seems to be worse the next day after she scratches all night [is this just me trying to blame it on a cause?] Does anyone find scratching makes it worse? and also will scratching so much cause bad scaring when the sores finally go away?
sorry for the loooong post, I guess I was just excited to talk to people who might be able to help out. As soon as my fiance comes home, I'll have to get her to check out this forum too, so she can pick some tips and tricks you guys have offered in previous threads that she think might work.
thanks so much everyone for all your past posts, I found them very interesting and hopfully I can help her push this thing back in whatever way will work. It seems like it's going to take lots of experimenting from what I understand.
thanks again
-les
les

second opinion

Postby Nick Balgowan » Wed Oct 18, 2006 10:39 am

Hi there Les,

Deeply sorry to hear about the problem. YES YES AND YES. Do not only get a second opinion INSIST on a proper diagnosis which for psoriasis is a SKIN BIOPSY. This is the only sure method of knowing what problem your other half has for sure. A visual diagnosis even by the most experienced dermatologist is only an educated guess.

From what you have said, how the outbreaks occur near an irritant surface, such as a metal bra strap, she may well have contact irritant dermatitis and not psoriasis. This happens all the time, people are misdiagnosed with psoriasis and receive the wrong treatments for years.

Also, "sudden break outs" are not typical with psoriasis, it usually take a little while to appear and to get worse. But once there are spots they can easily flare up and down all the time. But apearing at random in a fast manner is probably not typical of psoriasis.

Let me know how you go after a real diagnisis !
Nick Balgowan.
----------------------------------------
http://www.tcgindustrial.com.au
http://www.dermaray.com
http://www.beatpsoriasis.com
----------------------------------------
Nick Balgowan
Site Admin

Re: Scratching?

Postby natkingcole23 » Wed Oct 18, 2006 11:04 am

Les,

Take a look at the post heading 'Having Success with a Diet', also get another doctor's opinion but I see she's waiting to see a dermo. For myself, as I talked about in my post, diet is the most important thing, thats something she could start right now. Getting some sun and surf had good effects too.
This is what has worked for me I know of others who have focused on diets similar to myself and have achieved good results. But the diet is not easy.
Also on this website they are advertising tools/machines that shine a special light or rays onto the skin. This might be an option if you are in a cold place at the moment. Keep us posted.

Regards,

Nathan

les wrote:Hi everyone.
I just signed up today because I've been doing some web research on psoriasis and I found looking through the topics on this board very useful, as well as the members seemingly very friendly.
I don't have psoriasis, but my fiance does. She's had it for I guess about half a year now, and at first was told it was alergies, and then an infection [as it first was only on one eyelid] but since then she has developed more and more problem spots that seem to start in places where her skin is irritated and at times she is stressed out. [ie. on her back where the metal adjusters for her bra strap sat, or when some jerk tried to rob us] I can't even imagine how hard this is on her, becuase I'm quite stressed about it and I don't even have it! and then her dr tells of arthritis that could develope later yet! ugh.. she's tried to eat more healthy, but it's just too hard living with me [I eat poorly, lots of junk food] I tried to diet with her but it's hard for me and as soon as I fall off she does too. Today I was looking for help becuase she phoned me from Vancouver saying the stuffs broken out all over her and she can't even concentrate on work it itches so bad. the poor thing, I wish there was somthing I could do for her. which is funny coz the dr told her a wet climate helps, and after moving to calgary [a very dry city] to live with me, she was blaming that the most. as guilty as it makes me I feel better knowing she had a break out in vancouver.
I just feel so awful for her coz its making her kinda self consious even around ME! I just wanted to know from you what kind of support you would appreciate most being ones with psoriasis. would you recommend getting a 2nd opinion from another dr [its what I 1st thought maybe the dr was wrong, but researching has been pointing to her being right] also its taking FOREVER to get to see a dermatologist for her.
the worst part is that she's always scratching! and I really believe that it's making it worse when she does becuase it seems to be worse the next day after she scratches all night [is this just me trying to blame it on a cause?] Does anyone find scratching makes it worse? and also will scratching so much cause bad scaring when the sores finally go away?
sorry for the loooong post, I guess I was just excited to talk to people who might be able to help out. As soon as my fiance comes home, I'll have to get her to check out this forum too, so she can pick some tips and tricks you guys have offered in previous threads that she think might work.
thanks so much everyone for all your past posts, I found them very interesting and hopfully I can help her push this thing back in whatever way will work. It seems like it's going to take lots of experimenting from what I understand.
thanks again
-les
natkingcole23

Postby adnan » Wed Oct 18, 2006 10:58 pm

Hi dear:

i face the same condition with my fiance, the only difference is that am the one who has Psoriasis !!

I highly recommend proper diagnostic nd starting a diet immediately, since mot of steriods and other medicines are uselss ( ask me i have a full pharmacy of different ointments )

one thing is for sure, try your best to be yourself with her and dont over think (at least in front of her) about her situation, it will get worse, believe me !!

Good luck my friend and since ur concerned about your fiance am sure you are going to beat this issue ...

keep us posted
adnan

Postby bobsquareflakepants » Thu Oct 19, 2006 5:28 am

Yes she needs to see another dermatologist for a proper diagnosis. If her psoriasis is bad at the moment maybe if u saw a gp who also agreed it was bad, he mite be able to write a letter to the derm to get her seen sooner...
People with psoriasis can develop lesions at the site of significant skin trauma. Psoriasis worsens in areas of skin scrapes, scratches, and cuts. So its important that she does not pick, scratch, or scrub the lesions and scales. When my p is itchy i try to only rub it with the pads of my fingers or i rub an ice-cube over the area which relieves the itching.
I think for me the itching is worse when my p is scaly. So i take long hot bath before bed to descale and if my p is particularly bad i use coldtar, salicylic acid or even olive oil to help remove the flakes.
Also i never heard that a wet climate was good for p??? Im always told the opp that the wet irish weather isn't helping! Sun helps heal many peoples p including mine not rain as far as i know...
bobsquareflakepants

Return to Psoriasis chatter