Diet

Chat, questions, suggestions and comments about Psoriasis and psoriasis treatments go in here.

Diet

Postby carblazehell » Tue Mar 28, 2006 1:36 am

I have been doing a lot of research about the effect of diet on psoriasis. I have heard a lot of mixed things.
I assume it is common of Psoriasis sufferers to also have problems with allergies. I am one of those people. I am supposedly allergic to just about everything (food allergies and environmental allergies) , so I have not really eliminated all my allergens, because that would leave me fairly unhealthy and EXTREMELY limited.
I have heard and read that psoriasis and eczema are linked to an allergy to eggs and wheat. I happen to have an IGG allergy to both (a delayed reaction allergy). I started an egg/wheat free diet about a week ago(which totally STINKS!!!!) Even though it is extremely unpleasant, I am willing to try it if it helps my skin. After 5-6 days, I am not seeing any remarkable changes. I am still itchy. I am still breaking out with new blisters. I am still in pain. It is hard to have a positive attitude about a treatment when you are not seeing any results! Also, I know that stress can worsen the condition, but the itchiness and the treatment stress me out to no end, so it is a vicious cycle!
The main reason I wanted to post this is because after reading and asking my dermo about the egg/wheat allergy relationship to psoriasis (which he confirmed), I read on a website a list of "trigger" foods that did not include wheat and eggs. There was a long list of other foods that one is supposed to avoid. (Is there no end to the limitations this condition puts on my life!?!?!?)
I was curious if anyone else has experimented with special diets. Has anyone been advised to cut out a particular food? Did it work or help? I am doing this elimination diet without a general practice doctor's care, since I do not have insurance and I am seeing a dermatologist. I do not know how long I will have to do this before I know if it is making a difference. All I know is that I want to get better, and I will try just about anything...especially since I am going to be a bride in 6 months!!! YIKES!! EXPOSED SKIN!!!
I would greatly appreciate any info. that I can get!!
Good luck to everyone in their attempts to keep this condition at bay!

Rachel
carblazehell

Re: Diet

Postby Nick Balgowan » Fri Mar 31, 2006 8:45 pm

carblazehell wrote:I have been doing a lot of research about the effect of diet on psoriasis. I have heard a lot of mixed things.
I assume it is common of Psoriasis sufferers to also have problems with allergies. I am one of those people. I am supposedly allergic to just about everything (food allergies and environmental allergies) , so I have not really eliminated all my allergens, because that would leave me fairly unhealthy and EXTREMELY limited.
I have heard and read that psoriasis and eczema are linked to an allergy to eggs and wheat. I happen to have an IGG allergy to both (a delayed reaction allergy). I started an egg/wheat free diet about a week ago(which totally STINKS!!!!) Even though it is extremely unpleasant, I am willing to try it if it helps my skin. After 5-6 days, I am not seeing any remarkable changes. I am still itchy. I am still breaking out with new blisters. I am still in pain. It is hard to have a positive attitude about a treatment when you are not seeing any results! Also, I know that stress can worsen the condition, but the itchiness and the treatment stress me out to no end, so it is a vicious cycle!
The main reason I wanted to post this is because after reading and asking my dermo about the egg/wheat allergy relationship to psoriasis (which he confirmed), I read on a website a list of "trigger" foods that did not include wheat and eggs. There was a long list of other foods that one is supposed to avoid. (Is there no end to the limitations this condition puts on my life!?!?!?)
I was curious if anyone else has experimented with special diets. Has anyone been advised to cut out a particular food? Did it work or help? I am doing this elimination diet without a general practice doctor's care, since I do not have insurance and I am seeing a dermatologist. I do not know how long I will have to do this before I know if it is making a difference. All I know is that I want to get better, and I will try just about anything...especially since I am going to be a bride in 6 months!!! YIKES!! EXPOSED SKIN!!!

Rachel

Hi Rachel,

First of all, congratulation! Second, psoriasis and diet, we are asked countless times every day. Infact, we have a FAQ and detected page on our web site to answer this question. But there is no specific link between diet and psorisis. Psoriasis is not caused by a bad diet, anything lacking in your diet, or anything in excess for that matter. In fact, the exact cause of psoriasis is likely different in many people and there are many different forms of psoriasis, and even ones called "non specific" which means they have not formally been identified.

I have personally tried several different diets for varying lengths of time, with little or no change at all. I know a chain of "psoriasis clinics" push a "revolutionary psoriasis diet" as a be-all and end-all but its basically just eat more green veggies and eat less acidic foods - and incidentally buy our very expensive coal tar creams too. Coal Tar is a recognised treatment for the symptoms of psoriasis, their diet is not.

I know one lady personally who had tremendous suggest with her psoriasis after removing milk from her diet. But I also know many other people who removing milk from their diet made no difference at all. However, there is some logic in that particular foods or allergies definately seem to trigger or worsen psoriasis. But there is definitely no evidence to suggest these either cause psoriasis, or by removing these "triggers" from your diet will neccessarily make any difference (long term) to your psoriasis.

I hope that makes some sense. It's late now :oops:
Nick Balgowan.
----------------------------------------
http://www.tcgindustrial.com.au
http://www.dermaray.com
http://www.beatpsoriasis.com
----------------------------------------
Nick Balgowan
Site Admin

Re: Diet

Postby BigDaddy » Sun Aug 20, 2006 10:13 pm

carblazehell wrote: All I know is that I want to get better, and I will try just about anything...especially since I am going to be a bride in 6 months!!! YIKES!! EXPOSED SKIN!!!

Rachel

hello there rachel - I hope the wedding went well. I also hope the diet helped you through. cna you give us all an update on how it all went. oh and congratulations :D
BigDaddy
Power ranger

Return to Psoriasis chatter