Hey Im a new member =)

Chat, questions, suggestions and comments about Psoriasis and psoriasis treatments go in here.

Hey Im a new member =)

Postby Linzy1 » Thu Sep 28, 2006 5:39 pm

Last edited by Linzy1 on Mon Oct 02, 2006 3:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Linzy1

Re: Hey Im a new member =)

Postby Nick Balgowan » Thu Sep 28, 2006 7:46 pm

Linzy1 wrote:Heya Im Linzy & im 16 I've had psoriasis since i was 8....My life has been hell ever since i got it, kids at school bullying me because i was diffrent picking on me in the school playground i was always alone.It would get so itchy id scratch it till it bled Every night i had to have about 10 diffrent creams applied to me for the diffrent stages of my p ( active bright red , scaly ect ) when i was 12 it got worse it started creeping up on to my face i was an emotional wreck....Once from a happy outgoing girl to somone who only had jumpers and jeans in her wardrobe i diidnt bear any skin i was scared about what people might think at age 14 i finally got to go see a dermotoligist who helped for the p on my scalp he gave me salosilic acid or somthing like that which i had to apply And leave on for a couple of days and it STUNK! AND MADE MY HAIR GREASY!! not exactly the most appealing thing to a girl whos 14 & is in high school the bullying continued getting called things such as slime ball & smelly people would move away from me in class because " She stinks" all this & it still diidnt work over the years ive tried so many diffrent thing & eventually i found somthing thats really good! And i'd love to share it all with you it might not work for everyone but its theo nly thing that works for me its elocom Cream after one aplication the following morning its faded & practically gone although after a few days it pops up again its just a matter of routine if u keep applying it every day you should stay clear also after many MANY scalp application i found one which Does not smell of make your hair greasy i was so chuffed! - diprosalic scalp application & also Betnovate Scalp application! I'm so glad they have a website like this beacuse now i know im not the only one =) i hope i have helped some of you out there linzy x =)

Hello Linzy1 and a big welcome. I am really sorry to hear about your problem and especially the bullying. I am unsure of your location, but there are definitely groups and people who can help you with this. In some parts of the world bullying at school is illegal and action can be taken against these people and their parents for allowing it to happen. Don't suffer in silence but also let other people do the fighting for you !

On the subject Elocom cream, I am very glad you found something that works for you. This is the most important thing. But I just hope you understand the product is a very strong steroid based drug and will have problems associated with its long term use. I would suggest using a product like this only in particularly bad times, but again, if the relief is more important than the possible side effects, that is always a personal decision. But just in case you are unaware here is some information below. Please do not simply stop any treatment that is working for you, stopping a treatment suddenly can be very dangerous, but from past experience (myself included) people can use steroids liberally without knowing they are even using a steroid!

ELOCOM
Schering
Mometasone Furoate
Corticosteroid

Action And Clinical Pharmacology: Mometasone has anti-inflammatory, antipruritic and vasoconstrictive actions. The exact mechanism, however, of corticosteroids in each disease is uncertain. Mometasone has been shown to have topical (dermatologic) and systemic pharmacologic and metabolic effects characteristic of this class of drugs. tag_IndicationsIndications

Indications And Clinical Uses: For the relief of the inflammatory and pruritic manifestations of corticosteroid-responsive dermatoses such as psoriasis and atopic dermatitis. The lotion formulation may be applied to scalp lesions.

Contra-Indications: Hypersensitivity to any one of the components is a contraindication to its use. Topical steroids are contraindicated in untreated fungal, bacterial and viral (i.e. herpes simplex, chickenpox and vaccinia) infections involving the skin. tag_WarningWarnings

Manufacturers' Warnings In Clinical States: Children: Any of the side effects that have been reported following systemic use of corticosteroids, including adrenal suppression, may also occur with topical corticosteroids, especially in infants and children.

Systemic absorption of topical corticosteroids will be increased if extensive body surface areas are treated or if the occlusive technique is used. Suitable precautions should be taken under these conditions or when long-term use is anticipated, particularly in infants and children. Pediatric patients may demonstrate greater susceptibility to topical corticosteroid-induced HPA axis suppression and Cushing's syndrome than mature patients because of a larger skin surface area to body weight ratio. Use of topical corticosteroids in children should be limited to the least amount compatible with an effective therapeutic regimen. Chronic corticosteroid therapy may interfere with growth and development of children.

The lotion contains isopropyl alcohol and may cause stinging or burning upon application to abraded or sun-burned skin. Do not use in or near the eyes.

Precautions: Geriatrics: Suitable precautions should be taken in using topical glucocorticoids in patients with impaired circulation suffering from stasis dermatitis and other skin diseases.

Pregnancy and Lactation: Since safety of topical corticosteroid use in pregnant women has not been established, drugs of this class should be used during pregnancy only if the potential benefit justifies the potential risk to the fetus. Drugs of this class should not be used extensively in large amounts or for prolonged periods of time in pregnant patients.

Since it is not known whether topical administration of corticosteroids can result in sufficient systemic absorption to produce detectable quantities in breast milk, a decision should be made to discontinue nursing or to discontinue the drug, taking into account the importance of the drug to the mother.

Patients should be advised to inform subsequent physicians of the prior use of glucocorticoids.

If irritation, sensitization, excessive dryness develop with the use of mometasone, treatment should be discontinued.

Although mometasone is poorly absorbed, nevertheless, application of corticosteroids over extensive lesions, or exceeding the dosage schedule may result in significant systemic absorption producing hypercortisonism manifesting itself by adrenal suppression, moon facies, striae and suppression of growth.

During the use of topical corticosteroids, infections may occur. If an overt infection is present, appropriate antimicrobial treatment is indicated. If symptomatic response is not noted within a few days to a week, the local application of corticosteroids should be discontinued and the patient re-evaluated.

Prolonged use of corticosteroid preparations may produce striae or atrophy of the skin or s.c. tissues. If this occurs, treatment should be discontinued.

Mometasone is not formulated for ophthalmic use and should not be used in or near the eyes.

Adverse Reactions: The following local adverse reactions have been reported: Cream: During clinical studies in 319 patients: burning - 1, pruritus - 1, skin atrophy - 3. Ointment: During clinical studies in 812 patients: burning - 13, pruritus - 8, skin atrophy - 8, tingling/stinging - 7, and furunculosis - 3. Lotion: During clinical studies in 457 patients: burning - 9 (2%), pruritus - 4 (1%), skin atrophy - 6 (2%) (shininess, thinness, striae, telangiectasia), acneiform reactions - 3 (<1%).

The following local adverse reactions have been reported infrequently when other topical dermatologic corticosteroids have been used as recommended. These reactions are listed in an approximate decreasing order of occurrence: burning, itching, irritation, dryness, folliculitis, hypertrichosis, acneiform eruptions, hypopigmentation, perioral dermatitis, allergic contact dermatitis, maceration of the skin, secondary infection, skin atrophy, striae, miliaria.

Adrenal suppression has also been reported following topical corticosteroid therapy. Posterior subcapsular cataracts have been reported following systemic use of corticosteroids.

Cream: The overall incidence of side effects was 1.6%, i.e. 5 of 319 subjects and patients reported treatment-related adverse experiences.

Ointment: The overall incidence of side effects was 4.9%, i.e. 40 of 812 subjects reported treatment-related adverse experiences.

Lotion: The overall incidence of side effects was 5.1%, i.e. 31 of 613 subjects and patients reported treatment-related adverse experiences.

Side effects were mild to moderate and were those typically associated with topical corticosteroid formulations after 7 days of treatment.

No systemic treatment-related adverse experiences were seen.

Symptoms And Treatment Of Overdose: Symptoms and Treatment: No specific antidote is available and treatment should be symptomatic.

Percutaneous absorption of corticosteroids can occur when large amounts of corticosteroids are applied. Toxic effects may include ecchymosis of skin, peptic ulceration, hypertension, aggravation of infection, hirsutism, acne, edema and muscle weakness due to protein depletion. Treatment of a patient with systemic toxic manifestations consists of assuring and maintaining a patent airway and supporting ventilation using oxygen and assisted or controlled respiration as required. This will be sufficient in the management of most reactions. Should circulatory depression occur, vasopressors such as ephedrine or metaraminol and i.v. fluids may be used. Should a convulsion persist despite oxygen therapy, small increments of an ultra-short acting barbiturate (pentobarbital or secobarbital) may be given i.v. Allergic reactions are characterized by cutaneous lesions, urticaria, edema or anaphylactoid reactions.

Dosage And Administration: Cream/Ointment: Apply a thin film to the affected skin areas once daily.

Lotion: Apply a few drops of the lotion to the affected skin areas including scalp sites once daily; massage gently and thoroughly until medication disappears.

Do not use occlusive dressings.

Availability And Storage: Cream: Each g of white to off-white uniform cream contains: mometasone furoate 1 mg. Nonmedicinal ingredients: aluminum starch octenylsuccinate, ceteareth-20, hexylene glycol, phosphoric acid, propylene glycol stearate, purified water, stearyl alcohol, titanium dioxide, white petrolatum and white wax. Tubes of 15 and 50 g. Store between 2 and 30°C.

Lotion: Each g of lotion contains: mometasone furoate 1 mg. Nonmedicinal ingredients: hydroxypropylcellulose, isopropyl alcohol, phosphoric acid to adjust pH, propylene glycol, purified water and sodium phosphate monobasic. Plastic bottles of 30 and 75 mL. Store between 2 and 30°C.

Ointment: Each g of ointment contains: mometasone furoate 1 mg. Nonmedicinal ingredients: hexylene glycol, phosphoric acid to adjust pH, propylene glycol stearate, purified water, white petrolatum and white wax. Tubes of 15 and 50 g. Store between 2 and 30°C.
Nick Balgowan.
----------------------------------------
http://www.tcgindustrial.com.au
http://www.dermaray.com
http://www.beatpsoriasis.com
----------------------------------------
Nick Balgowan
Site Admin

Re: Hey Im a new member =)

Postby Alex » Fri Sep 29, 2006 1:59 pm

Linzy1 wrote: And i'd love to share it all with you it might not work for everyone but its theo nly thing that works for me its elocom Cream

That is the cream that my dermatologist prescribed to me. Worked wonders!

However, i was issued 1 prescription with 5 repeats and when i had used the cream i went to get a new prescription and they said that i had to wait another 5 months, as they can only give me it once ever 9 months, so im still suffereing

But it did work very well for me!
Alex

Postby bobsquareflakepants » Sat Sep 30, 2006 12:01 am

hi i used elocon cream too 2/3 years ago, another trade name for elocom. My derm prescribed it for my facial psoriasis and it worked however he only intended for me to use it for maybe 2 weeks as a quick fix solution, but
when i seen it working i used it continuously for maybe a year and i soon noticed burst capillaries on my face where i had been applying it :( so i had to stop using this treatment. I experienced a massive flare when i stopped
using elocon also. Beware using this product and other steroid creams.
bobsquareflakepants

Return to Psoriasis chatter