I'm New and Am Going INSANE

Chat, questions, suggestions and comments about Psoriasis and psoriasis treatments go in here.

I'm New and Am Going INSANE

Postby LizardBoy » Thu Aug 17, 2006 5:35 pm

i'm new here.. I go to the VA in winston-salem, nc tommorrow b/c i can't afford to go to a dermatologist anymore.

methotrexate didn't work
amavive didn't work
topicals didn't work (betamethonsone, or clobetasol, dovenex)
the new one I can't get perscribed b/c i have a history of kidney stones
prolly associated with the betamethosone/dovonex treatments

anyway.. HELP ME SOMEONE>. b4 i do somehting stupid

I'll post pics of my psoriasis as soon as I'm more familliar with the site
My Two Cents
LizardBoy

Re: I'm New and Am Going INSANE

Postby BigDaddy » Fri Aug 18, 2006 9:02 pm

LizardBoy wrote:i'm new here.. I go to the VA in winston-salem, nc tommorrow b/c i can't afford to go to a dermatologist anymore.

methotrexate didn't work
amavive didn't work

hey LB! :D have you tried a summer beach holiday? often clears me up!! :shock:
BigDaddy
Power ranger

Postby LizardBoy » Sun Aug 20, 2006 1:36 pm

In the past the beach would clear up about half of my psoriasis (about 40-50%). This year however it was so bad the the ocean was too painful to get in, so I just sat in the room for 8 days and felt sorry for myself.

On another note. In just 4 days of joinin the site and starting to drink 2 ½ litres of water a day(which i didn't do b4). All of my scales have shed and only erythema is present. Its been 2 years since I've lost the plaques and I'm starting to feel better already. The worst part was getting all the scales out of my hair. My hair is about down to my shoulder blades and these scales wet or dry are a biatch to get out of your hair. But i've slept for more than 3 hours a day for the first time in about a year.

I think there is hope. Water alone was my missing ingredient.
My Two Cents
LizardBoy

Postby MIA » Thu Aug 24, 2006 8:36 am

Hey LizardBoy:
You sound like me....Hard to tell where the plaques stop and the skin starts. :cry:
Mia C
Life's a highway and I'm speedin!
MIA

New drug reportedly helps

Postby Bruce » Thu Aug 24, 2006 12:27 pm

Drug Proves Effective Against Psoriasis
Remicade also produces lasting results, study finds

By Amanda Gardner
HealthDay Reporter

THURSDAY, Oct. 13 (HealthDay News) -- A new study reconfirms the value of Remicade, or infliximab, a rheumatoid arthritis drug, for treating moderate-to-severe cases of psoriasis.

The improvements were sustained for at least a year in many patients, according to a study appearing in this week's issue of the journal The Lancet.

"The data confirms the rapid and dramatic efficacy in severe psoriasis," said Dr. Christopher Griffiths, senior author of the study and a professor of dermatology at the University of Manchester School of Medicine, in England.

"What the study adds is that infliximab can be used to maintain that improvement in the majority of patients with severe psoriasis for at least one year. This is important because psoriasis is currently a chronic, incurable disease that needs long-term treatment," he said

Remicade is currently approved for the treatment of autoimmune disorders such as Crohn's disease, rheumatoid arthritis and psoriatic arthritis, a form of joint disease that affects about one-third of patients with psoriasis. The drug is known to be effective against psoriasis itself but is not yet approved for this use and is therefore prescribed "off label."

The results of the new study may bolster the case for adding psoriasis to the list of approved indications for Remicade, said Dr. Bruce E. Strober, associate director of the dermatopharmacology unit at New York University School of Medicine in New York City.

"This is data we're all aware of but it's nice to see data in literature that's been peer-reviewed," Strober said. "There are many patients for whom we do not have effective therapy. Remicade may represent the only medicine that would work for them. This study shows that Remicade is a very effective medicine for people with psoriasis."

Psoriasis is thought to be an auto-immune disorder, occurring when the body inexplicably begins overproducing skin cells. The extra cells pile up on the surface of the skin before they have a chance to mature, creating bright red patches that cause itching, burning and stinging.

Printer Friendly Send to a Friend
Drug Proves Effective Against Psoriasis
A "comment" article in the journal accompanying the study likened the impact of psoriasis on patients' quality of life to that of other severe disorders, including diabetes, rheumatoid arthritis or cancer.

A pro-inflammatory protein called tumor necrosis factor alpha (TNF alpha) is also thought to play a part in the development of psoriasis. Remicade is a monoclonal antibody that binds to TNF alpha, essentially incapacitating it.

The phase III British study involved 378 patients with moderate to severe psoriasis, assigned to receive either Remicade or a placebo intravenously at intervals for 46 weeks.

Using two different psoriasis indices, the researchers found that, by the tenth week, 80 percent of patients treated with Remicade had achieved at least a 75 percent improvement while 57 percent achieved a 90 percent improvement, compared with 1 and 3 percent, respectively, in the placebo group.

One quarter of the individuals in the Remicade group achieved a complete clearing of their skin psoriasis vs. none in the placebo group.

The benefit was also a sustained one: At week 24, 82 percent of those on Remicade still experienced a 75 percent improvement, versus only 4 percent for placebo patients. And 58 percent of those on Remicade had a 90 percent improvement, compared to just one percent of the placebo group.

At week 50, 61 percent of those on Remicade still had their 75 percent improvement and 45 percent still had a 90 percent improvement.

Participants also experienced improvements in nail psoriasis, which is often considered a sign of treatment-resistant disease. By week 24, people taking Remicade experienced an average 56 percent decrease in this condition -- a level of success that was maintained throughout the trial.

"A key observation was that the nail disease, which affects 50 percent of patients with psoriasis, is also significantly improved," Griffiths stated. "This is one of the very first studies to demonstrate such marked improvement in nail disease."

There were some side effects, including infection, in those taking Remicade. But, the authors stated, the drug "was generally well tolerated in most patients." The majority -- 80 percent -- of participants completed all transfusions.

More information

For more on psoriasis treatment, visit the National Psoriasis Foundation
(www*dot*psoraisis*dot*org)

Thought that this would be of interest to some who have moderate to severe cases. I stumbled onto it on a website that had lots of info and studies and wanted to share it with the group. Hope it will be some help. :idea:

Bruce
Bruce

Postby LizardBoy » Wed Sep 20, 2006 9:22 am

I'm on enbrel again and methotrexate. tryin them together. Its actually clearing up. I'm also drinking about 2½ litres of water a day. However, I"m still having severe joint pains.

As for the insanity, I start mental health on the 28th thru the VA and plan on getting to stay in the hospital for 6 weeks for a psyche evaluation. I'll keep you posted. I'm still insane.
My Two Cents
LizardBoy

There is hope!

Postby roqqe » Sat Oct 21, 2006 9:14 pm

Lizard Boy,
Water is only part of the answer, you have to eliminate things from your diet that are toxic to your system. People with psoriasis have over active immune systems, our skin is trying to protect itself from the toxins that are escaping through our skin. If you take away the toxins your skin can relax and it will not need to make scales any longer.
You can try all the topicals, injections, Dr. visits you want but you are only treating the symptoms. If you want to treat the source look at your diet. I am following a psoriasis spot free in 30 days diet, and it is not easy, but it is working. My skin is healing and I am only on day 9. It is truly amazing. You eat nothing from a cow or a pig, no wheat or bread, a lot of vegetables, and there is more to it. Email me if you want to know more about it. I felt like crying when I saw my spots disappearing because my dermatologist had given me a box about embrel last time I was there and has always told me there is no cure. He never even mentioned the possibility of diet affecting my skin.
Good luck, if you really want to get rid of your psoraisis, it's not easy to give up fast food, but it works.
Take care,
Raquel
roqqe

Postby Ambiance » Mon May 18, 2009 8:50 am

LizardBoy wrote:i'm new here.. I go to the VA in winston-salem, nc tommorrow b/c i can't afford to go to a dermatologist anymore.

methotrexate didn't work
amavive didn't work

Hey Lizardboy. Don't do anything stupid !! But I have beaten you, I am already insane !!!! :oops:
Ambiance

Postby emma1977 » Sat May 29, 2010 9:02 pm

My doctor is really good and is trying to help me get better but he keeps telling me to get as much sunshine as i can (esspically on my legs which are very bad) however i am soooooo embarassed about it i havent worn shorts for 3 years no matter how warm it gets. I hate my boyfriend seeing it let alone the general public. most nights i could sit and cry, i am normally a bubbly person but the P has really knocked my confidence and self asteam .
At the moment it seems to be spreading it is now on ALL parts of my body but worse on lower legs. I can understand how this can really get to you mentally but please hang in there you are not alone. WE WILL ALL GET THROUGH THIS.... THEY WILL FIND A CURE.
emma1977

Postby Matthew Balgowan » Sat Jun 05, 2010 9:21 am

Hi Emma and Welcome to the site,

I certainly agree with the sentiment and I hope that we find a cure soon. Sunlight is generally your friend get in the daylight. If you can at work site near window or go during your lunch break. If you don't want to put on shorts try thing cotton pants. that will still allow some daylight through. While not as effective as direct exposure. Some UV will still get through.
Matt Balgowan.
----------------------------------------
http://www.tcgindustrial.com.au
http://www.dermaray.com
http://www.beatpsoriasis.com
----------------------------------------
Matthew Balgowan

Postby lerbon123 » Fri Apr 04, 2014 3:42 pm

All of my scales have shed and only erythema is present. Its been 2 years since I've lost the plaques and I'm starting to feel better already.
lerbon123

Return to Psoriasis chatter