Triggers of Psoriasis

Chat, questions, suggestions and comments about Psoriasis and psoriasis treatments go in here.

triggers

Postby mccolrj » Tue Aug 22, 2006 10:50 pm

It was a long time before I finially found out that I had p so I can't remember any particular trigger. I was in my mid 20s. I do think that the more I worry about my p the worse it seems to get. Sun definitely helps but I live in Alabama and it is too hot to get in the sun unless you have a pool or live on the lake and unfortunately, I don't have either (or the time). I just had a recent flairup while planning my wedding which indates to me that stress could be a factor.
mccolrj

Postby waffnap » Wed Aug 23, 2006 4:11 am

Good luck with your big day!! it's easier said than done to try and relax with such a busy event. When on honeymoon (if having one) perhaps you may find the time to find some sunshine and chill out a little.
Little light, shining........
waffnap
Power ranger

Postby bobsquareflakepants » Mon Aug 28, 2006 4:05 am

I dont know of any particular trigger for my p. Big history of p in the family though. My dad has it, both his parents had it and all of his 7 brothers and sisters have it. Stress does make it worse though it always flares during exam time etc.. durin menstruation i notice my p worsening also
bobsquareflakepants

Postby Danielle » Tue Sep 05, 2006 1:58 am

Psoriasis runs in my family unfortunatley..

My nans mum & my grandads dad had it.. out of all the kids and grand kids, my mum and i are the only ones who got psoriasis quite bad..

I sometimes had patches on my elbows growing up.. but when i was about 13 i got a rash all over my body, what seemed like chicken pox.. i soon realised it was psoriasis and have been plagued with it ever since.. I'm now 20 by the way :wink:

My mum had it really bad when she was younger and it has got better with age.. so im hoping the same happens with me... :)

I do find that i get a flare up when i have a sore throat.. & through stress aswell.. but definately when i have a sore throat!!
Danielle

Triggers

Postby Maryvera » Sun Sep 24, 2006 12:02 am

Apart from moderate hypertension, which has been well controlled by medication for sevaral years, I am fit and healthy. I have no family history of skin problems and had had no problems myself until 18 months ago when I was 67.
I was then prescribed Ramipiril, an ACE inhibitor, to deal with still moderate but unstable hypertension. The dose was increased after a couple of weeks by which time I started to experience all-over itching and a slight, patchy rash mainly on my legs and back. A different ACE was prescribed - no improvement in BP, itchiness and rash got much worse. ACE's stopped, and I was prescribed my original long term BP medication which improved BP and general itchiness but the rash became itchy and flakey.
While these changes in medication were going on I was experiencing a stressful time related to the hospitalisation of both my husband and brother, as well as an emotional upset in a daughter's life. I also suffered a number of really, really minor physical "trauma" - nothing more than cuts, scratches and grazing on my legs from gardening which did not heal properly ( I have always been a good "healer), plus a couple of sore finger nails after over enthusiastic use of the nail brush.

Just as family health and other worries were easing and life was returning to normal I developed very hard skin on the fleshy part of my fingertips and at the side of the nails. The skin cracked, became very painful, and "scabbed" off leaving razor sharp shards on the inflamed, sensitive skin underneath. Then the two over-brushed nails started to discolour and thicken before lifting off altogether - other nails are following the same pattern now.

That was the beginning of a cyclical process that has gone on without cease for almost a year. Patch testing showed no allergies. I have a drawer full of prescribed, expensive creams and ointments including several potent topical steroids and medicated tape, none of which has brought more than temporary relief and minimal improvement. The condition is beginning to affect my feet, and the body patches are spreading and getting bigger.

My hands are now almost unusable as the palms are also affected and I doubt I would be able to cope with the tasks of daily living at all if I lived alone. Were I of working age I cannot think of any position I could fill with such limited use of my hands.
The users of this site will be only too aware of the psychological effects of living with a painful, disabling and unsightly skin condition.

A tentative diagnosis of psoriasis has now been made but any suggestion by me that the combination of new medication, stress and trauma may have been involved as a trigger is rejected. I remain unconvinced particularly as my brother has just been prescribed the same ACE medication (Ramipiril) following by-pass surgery and is beginning to get itchy skin and a rash!
Maryvera

Postby moodindigo » Sun Sep 24, 2006 12:59 am

I found that soaking in salt water before applying the steroid cream, with the emollient on top really helped when my skin was like you describe - the razor shards were horribly painful on my feet.

The salt water and DiproSalic steroid cream and Hydromol emollient has currently knocked the scaling back to quite reasonable levels. The P is still active but controlled and not sore.

I have palmar plantar psoriasis.

The salt water soak softens the skin and allows the medication to get to the skin beneath the scales, helping the scales to come off painlessly and the new skin to be ok, not cracked and bleeding.

The consultant also suggested absolutely smothering the Hydromol on at night and covering it with a pair of cotton socks - not glamourous - but effective when your feet are painful :)
moodindigo

Postby Maryvera » Sun Sep 24, 2006 4:38 am

My current treatment regime involves copious use of Epaderm both as a soap substitute and emollient on top of which, in the morning, I spread Dermovate, and at bedtime, Curatoderm.

I wear white cotton gloves almost continuously, night and day, except when I am attempting household chores, cleaning, cooking etc when I wear either vinyl or rubber gloves ( the latter on top of white cotton).

I try to soak the area to be treated first in the warmest water I can stand and this gives some ease. My self treatment process can take up to 50 minutes a day. I am currently using up to 5 pairs of cotton gloves per day.
(Whoever would have thought newsprint was so filthy - and I am talking about the Guardian!.)

At the moment I am, literally a two finger typist - none of the others work!
Maryvera

Postby moodindigo » Sun Sep 24, 2006 6:23 am

oh dear, sorry to hear of your problems.

I don't know Epaderm so it could be stronger than my treatment - but if it isn't, I find DiproSalic and Hydromol really helped me, maybe your consultant would consider trying it for you? The hospital put me on that regime, the GP had given me Dovonex and Diprobase, which helped, but not enough.

I soak my feet in warm, rather than hot water with a generous dollop of salt and that really helps. I think hot would exacerbate the symptoms.

Do you prepay your prescription charges? (you mentioned how costly in a PM) I have just paid £36 I think it was and that covers me for 4 months, no matter how many items - it would save you a lot of money if you don't do it already. You can do it online. If you pay a full year you save even more.

As I have asthma, arthritis and now psoriasis I'm on more medication than I ever imagined I'd be :( ..... oh not to mention hayfever!
moodindigo

Re: Triggers of Psoriasis

Postby Ambiance » Mon May 18, 2009 6:38 pm

my psoriasis triggers are

- spicey food, especially chinese and indian
- alcohol especially red wine
- stress and more stress
- red meat may have something to do with it too

seems like I have all the common triggers.
Ambiance

Postby Ambiance » Tue Sep 15, 2009 4:38 pm

well, although I am not sticking to any specific diet, I have been exercising, drinking heaps of water and cutting out all junk food. my psoriasis is the best it has been in decades. light therapy obviously helps, but I think a good diet does too.
Ambiance

Postby oz1siiam » Mon Feb 01, 2010 2:45 pm

Mine had been relativey quite until recently (the last 1-2 months), my diet has been far from good and I have been doing less exersise than normal.

So is my fatty food intake brining it on?
-I guess it wouldn't hurt to avoid the take away dinner and beers this month.
oz1siiam

Postby nicstar007 » Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:02 pm

I'm brand new to this. I am a 40 year old (gee whiz,what happened to the years?) who got psoriasis,literally the day after I had my 18 year old son. It was a stressful time, even though the birth was great. I had bad postpartum depression which got about 100% worse when a cavalier doc told me: oh yeah thats psoriasis, thers nothing you can do about it".Gee thanks! I have tried EVERYTHING over the years with varying degrees of success. Im about to do home light therapy, and am hopeful. I can tell you stress definitely affects mine. I am in the middle of having to move, no for sure home to go to, no job(in school), and a 9 year old to show up for.Super mega stress and my skin is literally on fire. Sucks!!!I am grateful to have others who can relate.
nicstar007

Postby jrksiddha » Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:15 pm

HI,

This is the pure siddha treatment product for psoriasis,

Treatment for Psoriasis

777 Oil - Apply twice a day. Expose to sunlight for 10-15 minutes in the morning.

Psorolin ointment - Apply Psorolin ointment during scaling stage of Psoriasis during night hours.

S.I.V.A drops - Adult: 10 drops with/without honey in exmpty stomach twice a day.

Pesin capsules - Adult: one capsule in morning and two capsules at night after foodChildren: above 10 years: one capsule a day after food.

A forte capsules - Adult: one capsule in morning and two capsules at night after foodChildren: above 10 years: one capsule a day after food.

Psorolin bathing bar - Use as regular bathing bar

Lumina - Apply on wet scalp and generate lather, using soft water clean the scalp there after. Dry hair with soft cloth before combing.

For any skin disease problem
Visit - www.jrksiddha.com
jrksiddha

Previous

Return to Psoriasis chatter