Redness

Chat, questions, suggestions and comments about Psoriasis and psoriasis treatments go in here.

Redness

Postby parkers2 » Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:10 am

Hello -

I've had psoriasis for many years - it is very stubborn to control and I very rarely go into remission. Have a few questions -
1) I have taken a beta blocker for about 14 yrs (had psoriasis before this). I'm wondering if it's worth the effort to have my doctor change my medication as I understand betablockers can aggravate psoriasis.
2) My psoriasis areas are mostly a terrible red-purplish color (mostly, the plaque is gone). Is there anything I can do to minimize this awful color?

My psoriasis is the usual - knees, elbows, scalp. I've used topical steroids and Dovonex on and off most of the time. Summer is ahead of us and I would like to look fairly normal so I can wear short sleeves.
Thanks for any advice you can give me.

ALP
parkers2

Re: Redness

Postby Nick Balgowan » Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:37 am

parkers2 wrote:Hello -

I've had psoriasis for many years - it is very stubborn to control and I very rarely go into remission. Have a few questions -
1) I have taken a beta blocker for about 14 yrs (had psoriasis before this). I'm wondering if it's worth the effort to have my doctor change my medication as I understand betablockers can aggravate psoriasis.
2) My psoriasis areas are mostly a terrible red-purplish color (mostly, the plaque is gone). Is there anything I can do to minimize this awful color?

My psoriasis is the usual - knees, elbows, scalp. I've used topical steroids and Dovonex on and off most of the time. Summer is ahead of us and I would like to look fairly normal so I can wear short sleeves.

ALP

I am aware of seveal people who have said beta blockers have aggrevated their psoriasis. one person from memory said they seemed to help it, perhaps for that person stress was a factor?
Nick Balgowan.
----------------------------------------
http://www.tcgindustrial.com.au
http://www.dermaray.com
http://www.beatpsoriasis.com
----------------------------------------
Nick Balgowan
Site Admin

re: the way it looks

Postby nightangel67 » Thu Mar 23, 2006 9:35 am

I believe my son has had this discolouration or purplish/red where psoriasis has been.
Sometimes my feet are like that almost like a scaring remnants of what was.
Depending on where it is it can cause concern. Don't know how one could cover it up.
I also have asthma so I don't use too much in the way of make-up or cosmetic products.
Try my best to use non-aeorsol and frangrance free. ie unscented deordorants
Same as my laundry soap and dryer sheets.
I hated going barefoot but now warmer weather comes sorry but off come my socks.
Shoes too when possible.
If ppl ask I tell them.
Wish there was something out there to use but rather not make things worse by doing so.
Guess consider it sign healing.
I know there is no cure but look at it as if it dormant.
And that is a good thing.
nightangel67

Re: Redness

Postby BigDaddy » Mon Aug 21, 2006 10:55 am

parkers2 wrote:Hello -

ALP

hi ALP - what is a beta blocker, is this a treatment for psoriasis, I am unaware of this could you please explain. I'm earing all the information online here and interested to try and new treatments I can find.
BigDaddy
Power ranger

Re: re: the way it looks

Postby BigDaddy » Mon Aug 21, 2006 10:59 am

nightangel67 wrote:I believe my son has had this discolouration or purplish/red where psoriasis has been.
Sometimes my feet are like that almost like a scaring remnants of what was.
Depending on where it is it can cause concern. Don't know how one could cover it up.
I also have asthma so I don't use too much in the way of make-up or cosmetic products.
Try my best to use non-aeorsol and frangrance free. ie unscented deordorants
Same as my laundry soap and dryer sheets.
I hated going barefoot but now warmer weather comes sorry but off come my socks.
Shoes too when possible.
If ppl ask I tell them.
Wish there was something out there to use but rather not make things worse by doing so.
Guess consider it sign healing.
I know there is no cure but look at it as if it dormant.
And that is a good thing.

I too had dark red plaque psoriasis on my feet. soaking them in warm water with olive oil and natural bath salts helped immensely. I highly recommend olive oil as a bath soak :?:
BigDaddy
Power ranger

Olive Oil

Postby Bruce » Thu Aug 24, 2006 10:35 am

Thanks to whoever it was that first mentioned the olive oil treatment. I applied it directly to the red patches after removing the dead skin and it showed improvement in the redness after just one application. If you haven't tried this I would highly recommend that you give it a shot. It doesn't absorb immediately, but it does seem to soak in deeply and helps out the redness. :wink:

Bruce
Bruce

olives / olive oil

Postby Bruce » Sun Aug 27, 2006 2:55 pm

I wonder if eating olive oil and cooking with it would have any effect. Since it seems to help with the redness and dryness... I wonder it it would have any merit taken internally?... Or to take that idea one step further, what about just eating / cooking with olives, putting them on salads etc?... Just a thought, I wonder if anyone else has ever come up with this or given it a try.

Bruce
Bruce

Had hypertension before P

Postby thelma » Wed Oct 11, 2006 2:57 pm

I suffer from hypertension before I found out that I was suffering from Psoriasis. I used to take betablockers, ignorant of the fact that I had P. The betablocker that I was taking was unadvised for those who suffer from P( I was on Sectral-Acebutolol) and very recently I read that it was not suitable for those who suffer from P-but I was on it nevertheless out of ignorance.... Might it be possible that this had aggravated the P so much so that in the end I got P?
thelma

Return to Psoriasis chatter