Enbrel Follow Up

Chat, questions, suggestions and comments about Psoriasis and psoriasis treatments go in here.

Enbrel Follow Up

Postby Jeffrey B » Tue Jul 11, 2006 8:59 pm

Just wanted to let everyone know about the Enbrel treatment I have been on since May 2006.

Sufferer for over 27 years.
I had severe P with over 90% of my body covered in the @#%#@! stuff. I had tried soriataine for a few years which helped a little but was hell when I was out in the sun. I felt sick most of the time unless I was under an umbrella or in the shade. Prior to that I tried light treatment which worked until my Doctor took me off due to the development of a black mole on my arm. Benign!!

My daily routine included 30 min of bathes in oatmeal, sea salt, oils, etc. and then three times daily a complete lub up of vaseline on every inch of my 6'3" bod. The flaking of my scalp was so bad I needed to carry a portable vacuum to clean up after myself. My work area at work had to be swept twice daily for all the flakes. Anyways you all get the drift.

The worst part was the constant feeling like I was sunburned on every inch of my body. Being very active this was very annoying. Of late I found it impossible to sleep at night as every time I turned I woke up due to the pain of the raw skin. This started to make me irritable which by no means is a personality trait I want to have.

I could not believe how quickly enbrel worked on me. I am coming up to my 3 months and am basically P free (small signs of slightly red skin but hardly noticeable). I sleep every night all night, I don't flake and I can enjoy being outdoors without feeling sick. People don't stare at me anymore (something that didn't bother me anyway). I have not had any injection site infections, the only side effect I have experienced is a slight sinus like infection, running nose, and it feels as if I may be coming down with a cold but then it goes away. I have read all the warnings about Enbrel and hav decided to role the dice. I currently have a health plan which covers 100% of the cost of the drugs. $425.00 CDN per injection. With an annual cost of about $25,000. CDN I won't be on it if I don't have a plan.

I will keep you informed about the new me!!
Jeffrey B

Re: Enbrel Follow Up

Postby jcave » Wed Jul 12, 2006 5:19 am

Jeffrey B wrote:Just wanted to let everyone know about the Enbrel treatment I have been on since May 2006.

I had severe P with over 90% of my body covered in the @#%#@! stuff. I had tried soriataine for a few years which helped a little but was hell when I was out in the sun. I felt sick most of the time unless I was under an umbrella or in the shade. Prior to that I tried light treatment which worked until my Doctor took me off due to the development of a black mole on my arm. Benign!!

My daily routine included 30 min of bathes in oatmeal, sea salt, oils, etc. and then three times daily a complete lub up of vaseline on every inch of my 6'3" bod. The flaking of my scalp was so bad I needed to carry a portable vacuum to clean up after myself. My work area at work had to be swept twice daily for all the flakes. Anyways you all get the drift.

The worst part was the constant feeling like I was sunburned on every inch of my body. Being very active this was very annoying. Of late I found it impossible to sleep at night as every time I turned I woke up due to the pain of the raw skin. This started to make me irritable which by no means is a personality trait I want to have.

I could not believe how quickly enbrel worked on me. I am coming up to my 3 months and am basically P free (small signs of slightly red skin but hardly noticeable). I sleep every night all night, I don't flake and I can enjoy being outdoors without feeling sick. People don't stare at me anymore (something that didn't bother me anyway). I have not had any injection site infections, the only side effect I have experienced is a slight sinus like infection, running nose, and it feels as if I may be coming down with a cold but then it goes away. I have read all the warnings about Enbrel and hav decided to role the dice. I currently have a health plan which covers 100% of the cost of the drugs. $425.00 CDN per injection. With an annual cost of about $25,000. CDN I won't be on it if I don't have a plan.

Thanks for the update
Jeffery, I know exactly what your talking about, for I to was once 90%
covered. Im glad it is working for you, My P is probably 30% coverage
now, Ive fought it for 19 yrs. If for some chance my p goes back to
50% Im going to try it. Thanks for the info, and please keep us updated.
We really appreciate it. JC
jcave

Postby BigDaddy » Sat Aug 19, 2006 7:55 pm

Jeffrey B wrote:Just wanted to let everyone know about the Enbrel treatment I have been on since May 2006.

hi there Jeffrey. Wow, glad to hear you found success with that drug. I have no idea it was so out-of-this-world expensive!! Do you need to keep taking the drug, or once you finish the treatment is that it for good?
BigDaddy
Power ranger

Postby BigDaddy » Sun Aug 20, 2006 9:19 am

jcave wrote:Thanks for the update
Jeffery, I know exactly what your talking about, for I to was once 90%
covered. Im glad it is working for you, My P is probably 30% coverage
now, Ive fought it for 19 yrs. If for some chance my p goes back to
50% Im going to try it. Thanks for the info, and please keep us updated.
We really appreciate it. JC

hello JC, what have you dont to reduce your psoriasis to such an extent?
BigDaddy
Power ranger

Postby LizardBoy » Sun Aug 20, 2006 1:29 pm

I just want to warn you. I did a study with enbrel before it was FDA approved for psoriatic arthritis. It worked wonders on me. It also cleared up my entire body (about 40%) in just 12 weeks. It was a 16 week study and I just want you to know. That after the study I couldn't afford it when it was approved and within a year it had gotten worse than it was before. No I have it on about 60% of my body, my groin, inside my ears, and the worst is the pain of the plantar/palmer psoriasis that I had never had b4.

I hope you plan on staying on it b/c chances are, when you stop takin enbrel you will relapse and it will be much more severe than it was to begin with. Enbrel is great, but only if you maintain the injections.
My Two Cents
LizardBoy

Return to Psoriasis chatter