Need some help?

Chat, questions, suggestions and comments about Psoriasis and psoriasis treatments go in here.

Need some help?

Postby noodle20 » Thu Mar 09, 2006 8:52 am

Hello, my name is Nikki. I have had Psoriasis for about 4 years now (I'm 23). I have a very mild case of it on my elbows and scalp but I have noticed it is starting to spread a little. I was wondering if anyone has found anything that helps with lessening the amount of scales/clearing it up and preventing the spreading. I am very self concious of this disorder, I tend to wear long sleeves all the time. Or if I do wear t-shirts I tend to walk with my arms folded to try and hid my elbows....If anyone has any ideas please help...

Thanks!
noodle20

Re: Need some help?

Postby Nick Balgowan » Fri Mar 31, 2006 8:57 pm

noodle20 wrote:Hello, my name is Nikki. I have had Psoriasis for about 4 years now (I'm 23). I have a very mild case of it on my elbows and scalp but I have noticed it is starting to spread a little. I was wondering if anyone has found anything that helps with lessening the amount of scales/clearing it up and preventing the spreading. I am very self concious of this disorder, I tend to wear long sleeves all the time. Or if I do wear t-shirts I tend to walk with my arms folded to try and hid my elbows....If anyone has any ideas please help...

Thanks!

Hello Noodle. There are two products approved for removing the scale. Coal Tar and Salic Acid (always forge the spelling!) Both of these work by slowly burning away the dead and dry skin. Both are technically "safe" in the recommended dosages. I think the stonger Neutrogena T-Gel shampoo has both of these things in it. Unfortunately there is nothing commonly available to stop the spreading of psoriasis. Some people find a Coal Tar bath additive to help lessen the dry patches, as do some good quality bath salt soaks etc. I hope this helps you!
Nick Balgowan.
----------------------------------------
http://www.tcgindustrial.com.au
http://www.dermaray.com
http://www.beatpsoriasis.com
----------------------------------------
Nick Balgowan
Site Admin

RE; i need some help

Postby firefly01 » Mon Apr 03, 2006 7:42 pm

Hi Noodle,

Massaging Hemp Oil or olive oil into the scalp a couple of times a week may help with the dryness of your scalp. Oilatum products are good also they do products for the bath.scalp,body try this website it may give you some ideas www.URL REMOVED.Dead Sea miosturising scalp treatment i have tried this it's quite good it helps with the tightness and itching.

Takecare Firefly xx :)
firefly01

Postby firefly01 » Mon Apr 03, 2006 7:47 pm

oops :lol: the word dead shouldnt be on the end of that link so here it is agian ...what am i like :lol:

www.URL REMOVED

Firefly
firefly01

for scalp and elbows etc

Postby sabinesdragon » Sat Apr 08, 2006 3:35 pm

t/sal also by neutrogena works exceptionally well and not as harsh on hair. as for your elbow i use aquaphor and wrap it over night when it's excessively dry or even palmer's cocoa butter stick. bit sticky but helps in the long wrong and if your scalp get's thick you can use P&S lotion by squibb not script necessary apply at night rub it in put shower cap on and sleep with it wash out with t/sal follow with light contioner if needed for your hair's sake.
sabinesdragon

Re: Need some help?

Postby BigDaddy » Sun Aug 20, 2006 9:45 pm

noodle20 wrote:Hello, my name is Nikki. I have had Psoriasis for about 4 years now (I'm 23). I have a very mild case of it on my elbows and scalp but I have noticed it is starting to spread a little. I was wondering if anyone has found anything that helps with lessening the amount of scales/clearing it up and preventing the spreading. I am very self concious of this disorder, I tend to wear long sleeves all the time. Or if I do wear t-shirts I tend to walk with my arms folded to try and hid my elbows....If anyone has any ideas please help...

Thanks!

hi noddle - I found olive oil particularly good at reducing flakes and dryness on my head. it does not smell, it is all natural and does not hurt my skin.
BigDaddy
Power ranger

removing scales

Postby Bruce » Thu Aug 24, 2006 2:06 am

I have a somewhat mild case - maybe a little worse then yours, Nikki... I have it on my elbows and knees for the most part. I find that soaking in a warm/hot bath for a good long while then using a scrub brush to remove the dead skin works well. I found a good one that is supposed to be used for removing dead skin / caluses from feet. This still leaves the patches all red, of course, but at least no scaly parts. Then you can apply lotion or whatever cream you use and it will soak in better. Good luck!

Bruce
Bruce

Return to Psoriasis chatter