cherries

Chat, questions, suggestions and comments about Psoriasis and psoriasis treatments go in here.

Re: fruit diets

Postby BigDaddy » Fri Aug 18, 2006 9:07 pm

jcave wrote:
Nick Balgowan wrote:
waffnap wrote:Just bought my first batch of cherries today and they are quite expensive with just coming into season.
I have tried to change my diet by eating just fruit in the day anything at the moment is worth a go. I would send you some cherries Nick but by the time they reached you they would be more like dried prunes :lol:
I was told by the nurse once at the hospital to get out in the sun as much as I could. That's very difficult at the moment here in England. We are just about to enter into summer and it feels more like winter. I just wondered if anyone in England finds that the sun does help with their P?

Wow 50% of royalties with that you could buy a whole cherry farm and lots of happy folk...
Jules

i might be wrong, so somebody please feel free to step in, but I think if you burn yourself then it can make psoriasis worse. But if you do not burn yourself, it helps your psoriasis??

I have tried a largely fruit diet in the past with little success. I could probably fine some canned cherries, but not too keen on that idea.

Thanks for the kind offer on sending some cherries over!
Thanks for the tip, My parents have a cherry tree, there green right now but in a
few weeks they'll be just right. As for sunlight when I get enough courage
to take off my shirt and get a tan I usually end up with more patches starting, maybe its over exposure to the rays.
BigDaddy
Power ranger

cherries as trreatment?

Postby BigDaddy » Fri Aug 18, 2006 9:12 pm

Reading this threat about cherries, so many people seem to have been interested, so I did a little digging and found this article online, so it looks like it may act like an anti-inflamatory, hence it relieves psoriasis, arthritis and other conditions? what does anybody else use cherries for I wonder?

Cherry Juice Reduces Muscle Pain Induced By Exercise

Cherry juice can reduce muscle pain and damage induced by exercise, suggests a small study published ahead of print in the British Journal of Sports Medicine.

Many approaches have been used to try and stave off muscle pain and damage after exercise, but few have been effective, say the authors.
Fourteen volunteers were asked to either drink fresh cherry juice blended with commercial apple juice twice a day for three days before exercise and for four days afterwards, or to drink a dummy mixture containing no cherry juice.
The blend comprised 12 oz of liquid, equivalent to the juice from 50 to 60 cherries. The fruit contains many antioxidant and anti-inflammatory agents.
The exercise was classified as "eccentric," which refers to contractions in which the muscle is lengthened, such as in hill walking or weight lifting, or any type of exercise not previously done before.
In this instance, the volunteers flexed and tensed one arm 20 times.
Muscle tenderness, motion, and strength were assessed on each of the days before and after exercise, using standard pieces of equipment designed for the purpose. And the volunteers rated their own muscle soreness on a scale of 1 to 10.
The whole process was repeated all over again two weeks later, with those who had taken the dummy mixture taking the cherry juice blend instead, and vice versa. The other arm was also used.
There was a significant difference in the degree of muscle strength loss between those drinking the cherry juice blend and those taking the dummy mixture.
This fell by 22 percentage points in those drinking the dummy mixture, but only by 4 percentage points in those drinking cherry juice. Muscle strength even improved slightly after 96 hours in those drinking cherry juice.
The degree of soreness differed little between the two groups, but the average pain score was significantly less in those drinking cherry juice.
Average pain scores came in at 3.2 for those drinking the dummy mixture and 2.4 for those drinking cherry juice.
Pain also peaked at 24 hours for those drinking cherry juice, but continued to increase for those on the dummy mixture for the subsequent 48 hours.
BigDaddy
Power ranger

Re: cherries

Postby BigDaddy » Fri Aug 18, 2006 9:14 pm

psexy wrote:hi, kids. i'm new here. anyway, i totally adore cherries, but have heard time and time again that many fruits, particularly citrus fruits, make the psoriasis go all wonky. how acidic are cherries?

i'm not sure why i'm being so cynical. if cherries help, i'll be thrilled.

reading the psoriasis diet tips online here, it seems acidic foods including citiris are well know to make psoriasis worse. I can concur with this, I can't even drink organse juice without getting all itchy and red!!! die acidic foods, die! :roll:
BigDaddy
Power ranger

types of cherries.

Postby BigDaddy » Fri Aug 18, 2006 9:15 pm

lil'froggie wrote:Hi all, I'm getting on the cherry bandwagon too!! They're fairly expensive at the moment but what the heck! Look forward to hearing how everyone goes.....

I just read online that there are 3 different main types of cherries. what type do people recommend for psoriasis?
BigDaddy
Power ranger

process with cherries for your psoriasis?

Postby BigDaddy » Fri Aug 18, 2006 9:19 pm

deepa1980 wrote:Thanks, Im looking forward to it. Will definetly keep you posted with the results

I'm really interested to know how your psoriasis has gone while consuming all these cherries? have people been having success?
BigDaddy
Power ranger

Postby BigDaddy » Fri Aug 18, 2006 9:20 pm

lil'froggie wrote:was happily eating my cherries this morning when I glanced at the one I was about to put in my mouth and it was MOULDY!!! I only bought them a day ago so I'm not very happy! I think I might have to wait for cherry season after all.

was the cherry organic by any chance?
BigDaddy
Power ranger

Perillyl Alcohol in cherries?

Postby BigDaddy » Fri Aug 18, 2006 9:21 pm

hkluth wrote:LOL - yick on the moldy cherries... I've had the same problem with fresh ones here so I stick to the concentrate.

For those of you that are having trouble finding fresh, do consider the concentrate. It is available in many health food stores and our grocery store even carries it. It is also available from many sources online.

From the research I've done on it, the Tart Montmerency cherry is the one that has the highest levels of Perillyl Alcohol. This is according to Cancer fighting research at the University of Iowa by Raymond Holm, M.D.. The dose of 2 tablespoons of concentrate in 6-8 ounces is equivalent to about 20 fresh cherries.

aaaaaaaaaah! Thanks, I wanted to know what type of cherry to get and what in it was so special. What is Perillyl Acohol exactly, do you know what it is or what it does?
BigDaddy
Power ranger

Re: Cherries out of season

Postby BigDaddy » Fri Aug 18, 2006 9:25 pm

Nick Balgowan wrote:I've hunted high and low for some cherries, but they are out of season. My wife found a small bag of dried cherries in an organic shop, $11.50 for 150g!! Fairly bitter taste dried so they were hard to stomach but I'm going to force them down today ;-)

ouch!!
BigDaddy
Power ranger

Re: Im on the cherry bandwagon!!

Postby BigDaddy » Fri Aug 18, 2006 9:27 pm

waffnap wrote:Hi AznBoi101210
You have every right to be excited, glad to hear your legs are clearing up :) As for cetaphil is this cream available over the counter or is it on prescription? Keep us posted on the cherries we may have a miracle on our hands here :wink: If not they sure taste good, it's like the saying "It's like feeding strawberrys to a Donkey" :lol: :lol:
Jules

Nick
Dried cherris :? do they take the stones out first hehe. Wow that's quite expensive but all in a good cause :wink:
Jules

I think Cetaphil is a sorbolene / glycerol based lotion. I have it some place but haven't used it in a while. I try not to put too much on my skin as I think it can be counter productive sometimes.
BigDaddy
Power ranger

cherry process?

Postby BigDaddy » Fri Aug 18, 2006 9:29 pm

MIA wrote:Hello all,
I must say when I first read about the cherries I thought "I'll just wait and read about it later". However, my 17 year old sun sat down with me while I was writing Nick last week and read the cherry story. That night he went out and bought me a huge bag of gorgeous cherries. They were "almost" too pretty to eat...."Almost". So, I have been eating them for a few days now. I'm pretty addicted. Who know's, I might grow a tree :D.

hi MIA. how have you found eating all thse cherries, is your psoriasis any improved? I wonder if eatying too many will cause upset stomachs?
BigDaddy
Power ranger

Hi everybody

Postby Bruce » Sat Aug 19, 2006 2:57 pm

I'm new here... :) It is nice to find such a nice community of people exchanging ideas and supporting each other. Just wanted to say hi and I'm going to look for some fresh cherries or the next best thing as soon as I get to the grocery store. :wink:

Bruce
Bruce

Postby LizardBoy » Sun Aug 20, 2006 1:52 pm

why do they have to be in season? Don't they have them in the grocery store. and even when out of season they are imported/exported throughout the year.
My Two Cents
LizardBoy

found some yummy cherries!

Postby Bruce » Sun Aug 20, 2006 2:59 pm

Happy to report that I found some delicious fresh black cherries at the local discount grocery store. I bought two packs of about one pound each. I think they cost around $2.50 a pound in US dollars, not bad at all... but then again, they are in season here. Tomorrow I'm going to go to a local farm where you can pick your own and buy a whole bunch to freeze. I figure that even if they don't cure my p, they're still quite good to snack on! I have eaten almost an entire one pound pack already, but I think I'll pace myself from here on... just wanted to get alot in my system right away, kind of a kick start if you will. I found a site that said you can freeze cherries just by putting them on a cookie sheet and then the freezer (not touching so that they dont stick together) and that they would be fine when thawed. Hope they're right. Anyone have any other insight on this? Well, guess that's all for now... good luck to all. :wink:

Bruce
Bruce

Postby waffnap » Sun Aug 20, 2006 7:41 pm

LizardBoy, Bruce and Bigdaddy (and any new members I have missed, sorry to have left you out) What a wonderful way to greet you all in the cherry thread. A big hello to you all and welcome to this wonderfull place.

LizardBoy I feel sure that here in Engalnd Cherries are only available during summer months. I am now noticing in the stores they are getting a bit scarce :( gee what will I do...Will have to take up Mia's offer of shipment :D I will keep my eyes open during the coming winter months to check availability as i have never thought of buying cherries during the winter. One thing for sure i will certainly notice now.

Bruce Black Cherries yum! wow that's a good price to pay, I paid £1.50 for just under half pound last week at a local market. I had eaten them all before i got home, just left with the pips and stalks :lol: :lol: I would love to go cherry picking, does that happen here in England does anyone know? I daresay if so it would be down south in much warmer conditions. Here in Yorkshire all we have are spuds and turnips hehe not much comparison. Good luck with your cherry picking, I wonder how many you will eat whilst in the process, make sure you get the best ones.

Bigdaddy Thank you for the write up about cherry juice for everyone, so thoughtfull. You have so many posts I can't keep up in replying it's so refreshing to see so many replies. You asked in one of your post what kind of name is Waffnap, in response it is a stupid one :lol: :lol: it's a nickname that has followed me through life and remains still.
Nice to meet you all I feel sure you will all like it here, we don't bite, not too hard anyway :lol: Bye for now everyone.
Jules xx
Little light, shining........
waffnap
Power ranger

Postby MIA » Thu Aug 24, 2006 8:03 am

This cherry thing has really taken off! Honestly Big Daddy, The inflammation has gone down. I have gotten some sun recently but the places went down a little before I ever got in the sun. I wonder if this could be a Psychological kind of thing. I didn't have any on vacation and P is a bit calm....but....was on the lake also. :D I love the black cherries. I just eat whatever I can get my hands on. So far...no upset tummy. I actually feel really good for a change. Ususally I'm exhausted by the end of the day but lately come home from work and work some more.
Mia C
Life's a highway and I'm speedin!
MIA

PreviousNext

Return to Psoriasis chatter