Long term topical steroids use anyone?

Chat, questions, suggestions and comments about Psoriasis and psoriasis treatments go in here.

Long term topical steroids use anyone?

Postby Itchy » Tue Jul 25, 2006 5:07 pm

Hello from a first time poster.

I’m curious to hear from anyone who has had any experience using Dermol or other topical steroids to treat P. I’ve been using it for over 5 years now with reasonable success but I’m concerned about the long term effects.

I’m 42 years old now and although I’m pretty happy with the results I wonder if I should be looking at other, less harmful remedies.

Just interested to hear from anyone who has been using this type of treadment over an extended period and if you suffered any side affects.

For the record I haven’t noticed any side affects yet and it just about totally clears up my P over summer but it always returns over winter mainly because I only apply it sparingly cause its just to cold, uncomfortable, inconvenient, annoying, you know all of the above.

Thanks,
Chris
Itchy

Re: Long term topical steroids use anyone?

Postby Nick Balgowan » Tue Jul 25, 2006 6:46 pm

Itchy wrote:Hello from a first time poster.

I’m curious to hear from anyone who has had any experience using Dermol or other topical steroids to treat P. I’ve been using it for over 5 years now with reasonable success but I’m concerned about the long term effects.

I’m 42 years old now and although I’m pretty happy with the results I wonder if I should be looking at other, less harmful remedies.

Just interested to hear from anyone who has been using this type of treadment over an extended period and if you suffered any side affects.

For the record I haven’t noticed any side affects yet and it just about totally clears up my P over summer but it always returns over winter mainly because I only apply it sparingly cause its just to cold, uncomfortable, inconvenient, annoying, you know all of the above.

Thanks,
Chris

Hello Itchy,

There are many issues with using steroids long term! Best to see this thread; http://www.beatpsoriasis.com/forum/view ... light=zinc
Nick Balgowan.
----------------------------------------
http://www.tcgindustrial.com.au
http://www.dermaray.com
http://www.beatpsoriasis.com
----------------------------------------
Nick Balgowan
Site Admin

Postby waffnap » Fri Jul 28, 2006 5:33 am

Hello Chris
big welcome from me, the forum numpty hope you feel settled in here.
Jules :D
Little light, shining........
waffnap
Power ranger

Re: Long term topical steroids use anyone?

Postby BigDaddy » Sat Aug 19, 2006 7:41 pm

Itchy wrote:Hello from a first time poster.

Thanks,
Chris

howdy chris. I was prescribed a gigantic bottle of some steroid when I found I had psoriasis. i actually had to tell the doctor my friend told me I had psoriasis, the doctor was hopeless. Anyway, in the packet was a warning insert that put me right off ever using a steroid on my psoriasis. something about internal organ damage, permanent skin damage, thinning and bruising my skin. yuk. psoriasis sounded better to me.
BigDaddy
Power ranger

Postby MIA » Thu Aug 24, 2006 8:28 am

Hello Itchy,
I've used many different types for several years on and off. Ultravate, Dovonex, Temovate, Cloebatosol, Halobetasol. For me the generic brands have a lighter effect than the brand names. Ultravate and Halobetasol are basically the same thing, but the Halobetasol does not thin or bruise the skin as bad as the Ultravate. I don't use it unless I absolutely have to and thats when the flare up is so bad I can't function. I don't recommend them unless you need to relieve the pain or a quick fix. The consequences however are horrible. When you quit using the med, P comes back with a vengeance. :cry:
Mia C
Life's a highway and I'm speedin!
MIA

Return to Psoriasis chatter