Triggers of Psoriasis

Chat, questions, suggestions and comments about Psoriasis and psoriasis treatments go in here.

Postby lil'froggie » Mon Jun 26, 2006 1:35 pm

I think my trigger was stress following an injury but my first patch of p was a mosquito bite that just didn't heal and gradually spread. It took nearly three years to get a diagnosis and I felt very embarrassed about this horrible rash that just wouldn't go away. I still find that stress is a very important factor in attempting to manage my psoriasis.
it isn't easy being green....
lil'froggie

Triggers

Postby hil » Sat Jul 08, 2006 4:43 am

Hi I am new to this forum...My trigger was my brothers fatal accident and steadily got worse during a very destructive relationship of 15 years...I had the strength to finally finish that relationship with the help of my now wonderful husband...It is slowly getting better, I have it on my elbows and one knee, but the worse part is having it under all of my toe nails and 4 of my finger nails..I would like some information on how I could possibly treat my nails as my GP says there is nothing I can do.
hil

Postby waffnap » Sat Jul 08, 2006 6:14 pm

Hello Hil
So glad you found the strength and courage to move on and that you have now found happiness :)
As for the nails, I mentioned this to my Derm. and he just shrugged his shoulders and said there is nothing that can be done. His advise was keep them short and use polish. My nails are not so good at the moment i use cuticle oil and rub it in but to be honest I haven't noticed any difference.
Welcome to the site looking forward to reading your posts.
Jules :D
Little light, shining........
waffnap
Power ranger

Re: Triggers

Postby Nick Balgowan » Sat Jul 08, 2006 7:52 pm

hil wrote:Hi I am new to this forum...My trigger was my brothers fatal accident and steadily got worse during a very destructive relationship of 15 years...I had the strength to finally finish that relationship with the help of my now wonderful husband...It is slowly getting better, I have it on my elbows and one knee, but the worse part is having it under all of my toe nails and 4 of my finger nails..I would like some information on how I could possibly treat my nails as my GP says there is nothing I can do.

Hello,

Psoriasis under the nails is often mistaken for a fungal infection, and fungal infections under the nails is often mistaken for psoriasis. you need to properly determin which condition you have. A small skin scrap and path test around your nails should confirm this. Psoriasis under the nails is extremely hard to treat, but not impossible. Again, not just pushing phototherapy, but a Dermalight80 will most likely treat this condition for you. We have some basic information online about this condition here; http://www.beatpsoriasis.com/psoriasis-fingernails.htm that you may find useful.
Nick Balgowan.
----------------------------------------
http://www.tcgindustrial.com.au
http://www.dermaray.com
http://www.beatpsoriasis.com
Nick Balgowan
Site Admin

Triggers

Postby hil » Sun Jul 09, 2006 12:57 am

Hi Jules

The advice of keeping them short and wear polish is the same I have been given, which I do. At one stage when it first started it was so painful I asked my GP if I could have the nails removed..He said no as the P is on the skin under the nails not the nails themselves...Never mind i'll have to live with it...
hil

Triggers

Postby hil » Sun Jul 09, 2006 1:00 am

Hi Nick

I have been to a dermatologist at the hospital and he confirmed I had P under my nails...
I only had it under 2 nails then but it has spread to all of my toe nails and 4 of my finger nails over the years..
I will have a look at that website...Anything that can I help I will try..
I really don't like having my nails look the way they do and they are painful at times..
hil

Re: Triggers

Postby jcave » Wed Jul 12, 2006 6:05 am

hil wrote:Hi Nick

I have been to a dermatologist at the hospital and he confirmed I had P under my nails...
I only had it under 2 nails then but it has spread to all of my toe nails and 4 of my finger nails over the years..
I will have a look at that website...Anything that can I help I will try..
I really don't like having my nails look the way they do and they are painful at times..
I thought I had p under my nails it turned out
to be fungus, fungus will spread from one nail to the other. My derm
told me the nail would be pitted if it was psoriasis, yellow and raised
is usually fungas, to be sure is to have a culture done on the nails. I
was prescibed lamasil tablets, it went away on my fingernails but
stayed on my toes. Now I make sure not to use the same clippers, to
manacure the hands and feet.
jcave

Postby Paul » Thu Jul 13, 2006 7:35 am

waffnap wrote:Is it a dead cert that if you have P you are guaranteed to get Arthritis I always worry about this, or does it depend on what type of P you have?
Jules

Someone plaese tell me that this is not necessarily true!, I have read that there are possible links, but surely its not that dead certain is it?

Paul LAMER-SCAM-WEB-PAGE

JUST HAD A FLARE UP NOW!!!!! AAAARRRRGGHHH!!! :x
DEATH TO PSORIASIS!!!!!
Paul

Postby Nick Balgowan » Thu Jul 13, 2006 8:30 am

Paul wrote:
waffnap wrote:Is it a dead cert that if you have P you are guaranteed to get Arthritis I always worry about this, or does it depend on what type of P you have?
Jules

Someone plaese tell me that this is not necessarily true!, I have read that there are possible links, but surely its not that dead certain is it?

Paul LAMER-SCAM-WEB-PAGE

JUST HAD A FLARE UP NOW!!!!! AAAARRRRGGHHH!!! :x

No, only a small number of people with psoriasis develop arthritic psoriasis. Often people with multiple grandpartents with arthritis will develop psoriasis or athritis.
Nick Balgowan.
Nick Balgowan
Site Admin

Postby waffnap » Mon Jul 17, 2006 12:31 am

Sorry Paul I didn't want to scare monger, I was just curious with reading about other sufferers who have it. I am so pleased to read Nicks post always the wise one he is, lending us his support and advice :)
Jules
waffnap
Power ranger

Phew!!!

Postby Paul » Tue Jul 18, 2006 4:09 pm

Thank ggaaawwwd for that!!, a nice thing to here this morning!!,

:D

Has anyone ever tried risotriene? I discovered a health website called http://www.healthy-living.org/html/psoriasis.html, apparently risotriene along with many other health products like the '8 day cleanse' etc have done wonders for many psoriasis sufferers, there's alot of very well researched and educated info there, alot of info regarding the immune system and parasites which could be a major cause for psoriasis,

Going back to the original subject!!, my original trigger (to what I was told was eczema) was when one of my legs was in a cast after a snowboarding accident about 6-7 years ago, when my cast came off there was a small itchy red flaky/scaley patch which I assumed was a harmless rash brought on by the cast that would soon go away, and has spread and got worse ever since, I have been given dozens of creams to treat "eczema", some of them helped for a short while but ultimately it always came back with a vengance,

Have been living quite healthy the last few days, exercising and staying away from nightshades and sweets, red meat etc, and my legs have been behaving themselves!!, rock on!!

Paul XxXx 8) 8) 8)
DEATH TO PSORIASIS!!!!!
Paul

Re: Phew!!!

Postby Nick Balgowan » Tue Jul 18, 2006 7:21 pm

Paul wrote:Thank ggaaawwwd for that!!, a nice thing to here this morning!!,

:D

Has anyone ever tried risotriene? I discovered a health website called http://www.healthy-living.org/html/psoriasis.html, apparently risotriene along with many other health products like the '8 day cleanse' etc have done wonders for many psoriasis sufferers, there's alot of very well researched and educated info there, alot of info regarding the immune system and parasites which could be a major cause for psoriasis,

Going back to the original subject!!, my original trigger (to what I was told was eczema) was when one of my legs was in a cast after a snowboarding accident about 6-7 years ago, when my cast came off there was a small itchy red flaky/scaley patch which I assumed was a harmless rash brought on by the cast that would soon go away, and has spread and got worse ever since, I have been given dozens of creams to treat "eczema", some of them helped for a short while but ultimately it always came back with a vengance,

Have been living quite healthy the last few days, exercising and staying away from nightshades and sweets, red meat etc, and my legs have been behaving themselves!!, rock on!!

Paul XxXx 8) 8) 8)

Without a doubt, major injuries, infections and other traumas seem to be a signifigant trigger for psoriasis and also vitiligo. When you think about it, both conditions are linked with the immune system's T-Cells, so anything that requires your body to repair itself, and to repair major damage, seems to have the ability to force your skin into overdrive, hence the over production of skin cells that causes psoriasis.
Nick Balgowan.
Nick Balgowan
Site Admin

Postby waffnap » Wed Jul 19, 2006 2:19 am

I broke my ankle just before the onset of P and after a few weeks of the cast coming off I too developed a small red patch on my ankle. My doctor advised it to be eczema also for a good few months. This then dissapeared but flared up everywhere else at random and it was then I was diagnosed with having P.
Yet again I have learned something else from this site thanks guys. I honestly would have never connected my break at all with P. Obviously I am not saying this is the trigger but it is something to consider. I just put mine down to a severe throat infection time after time (which for all I know may still be the trigger).
I am stuck with it now on the lower legs and can't get rid of it for love nor money but at least it's under control :) The nails are not so good too but I now realise there is not really much I can do about that.
waffnap
Power ranger

Postby Itchy » Tue Jul 25, 2006 5:30 pm

Besides the usual winter blues I’d say marijuana always triggers an outbreak for me and I rarely smoke it anymore. My condition also improved when I quit smoking cigarettes a couple of years ago. I still have a couple of beers most nights, not sure if this is good or bad but I don’t rightly care either way.

Chris
Itchy

Smoking!!

Postby Paul » Wed Jul 26, 2006 6:30 pm

Yo Itchy!!,

Are you smoking your weed with tobacco?, if you are you should try leave the tobacco out as it will certainly irritate your p due to tobacco being extremely poisonous, try and smoke your weed by itself through a bong or pipe or even eat it, the active substance in marajuana (THC) apparently has benefits for psoriasis,

Good luck bro!!
DEATH TO PSORIASIS!!!!!
Paul

PreviousNext

Return to Psoriasis chatter