misdiagnosed

Chat, questions, suggestions and comments about Dermatitis and Dermatitis treatments go in here.

misdiagnosed

Postby Dors » Thu Apr 27, 2006 3:02 pm

Hi.
I have recently been diagnosed with having Dermatistis (on my legs). I was diagnosed almost a year ago with Psoriasis in which it has progressively worsened. A different Dr requested that I have a biopsy and the results came back negative to Psoriasis. I am now being treated for Dermatitis with "Diprosone" ointment which is improving daily. Also I am finding that the itching has gone completely, which is a great bonus. I was told that Diprosone also helps psoriasis. Diprosone is a Topical corticosteroid.

I have found the Psoriasis group to be very friendly and helpfull. Hope we can get the Dermatistis group engaged in chatter also.

Regards
Dors :)
User avatar
Dors
Newbie
 
Posts: 13
Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2006 10:26 pm
Location: Australia

Postby waffnap » Mon May 01, 2006 5:59 am

On my last visit to hospital I asked my Doctor to conduct a biopsy as my friend in America asked me if I had requested one. Afetr finally plucking up courage I asked the the Doctor if it were possible and he just laughed at me and said "My dear, it is psoriasis nothing else" and dimissed the idea.
What a remarkable story I can relate with the itching!! I wish you lots of luck.
Little light, shining........
User avatar
waffnap
Power ranger
 
Posts: 117
Joined: Mon May 01, 2006 4:01 am
Location: England

Postby Nick Balgowan » Mon May 01, 2006 9:04 am

waffnap wrote:On my last visit to hospital I asked my Doctor to conduct a biopsy as my friend in America asked me if I had requested one. Afetr finally plucking up courage I asked the the Doctor if it were possible and he just laughed at me and said "My dear, it is psoriasis nothing else" and dimissed the idea.
What a remarkable story I can relate with the itching!! I wish you lots of luck.


I hear nearly every day about misdignosises. Some times a skin fungas can look like psoriasis. The worst mistake I ever came across was an older gentleman being treated with phototherapy and then radiotherapy for psoriasis for over 25 years. It turned out that he had a very rare form of skin caner........ obviously photo and radiotherapy were less than ideal for his condition and it was suspected he died as a result of mistreatment - or lack of correct treatment for his condition at least.
Nick Balgowan.
----------------------------------------
http://www.tcgindustrial.com.au
http://www.dermaray.com
http://www.beatpsoriasis.com
----------------------------------------
User avatar
Nick Balgowan
Site Admin
 
Posts: 267
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2006 12:29 pm
Location: Australia

Postby waffnap » Mon May 01, 2006 4:43 pm

Goodness me that is just dreadful. We put so much faith in what the doctors tell us (well I know do)...So many times I have come away after my appointment with the Doctor feeling even worse than when I went in. I am not pulling him down, It's just that he seems very disinterested in how I am feeling emotionally. He starts writing up my notes before I have even finished talking and trying to explain how painful it is. I trust his judgement, I have to, but I think I may ask for a test as confirmation just for peace of mind.
Little light, shining........
User avatar
waffnap
Power ranger
 
Posts: 117
Joined: Mon May 01, 2006 4:01 am
Location: England

What is a good doctor?

Postby Nick Balgowan » Mon May 01, 2006 7:43 pm

waffnap wrote:Goodness me that is just dreadful. We put so much faith in what the doctors tell us (well I know do)...So many times I have come away after my appointment with the Doctor feeling even worse than when I went in. I am not pulling him down, It's just that he seems very disinterested in how I am feeling emotionally. He starts writing up my notes before I have even finished talking and trying to explain how painful it is. I trust his judgement, I have to, but I think I may ask for a test as confirmation just for peace of mind.


G'day,

My standing advice is to find a doctor you are happy with, and that would include that listens to you. In the early days, I had to contact just about every dermatologist in the phone book before I found one who knew more than me. Then, a I had already tried about every treatment under the sun, I had to go to a GP to do a biopsy to confirm exactly what I had. It was psorasis, but "unspecific" which means its one of the forms not really categorised. Yes, there are many more forms than the main documented ones. So the plot thickens again :roll:
Last edited by Nick Balgowan on Mon May 01, 2006 8:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Nick Balgowan.
----------------------------------------
http://www.tcgindustrial.com.au
http://www.dermaray.com
http://www.beatpsoriasis.com
----------------------------------------
User avatar
Nick Balgowan
Site Admin
 
Posts: 267
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2006 12:29 pm
Location: Australia

Postby waffnap » Mon May 01, 2006 8:20 pm

Thank you for the advice and no doubt that stick will come in handy to give me a good shove to do something about it :lol:
Little light, shining........
User avatar
waffnap
Power ranger
 
Posts: 117
Joined: Mon May 01, 2006 4:01 am
Location: England

Postby hkluth » Fri May 19, 2006 12:36 am

Wow does this ring a bell... My Dermatologist also diagnosed me quickly and dismissed my asking about any kind of biopsy or testing. Since then she's had me try various things that have not worked and some caused me severe side effects. The phototherapy is one of the least invasive and it's too soon to know yet whether it will work for me but I'm definitely going to insist on a biopsy to rule out that it may be something other than psoriatric Arthritis.
~ Heather ~
hkluth
Newbie
 
Posts: 21
Joined: Thu May 18, 2006 10:43 pm

Misdiagnosed psoriasis

Postby Nick Balgowan » Fri May 19, 2006 8:16 am

hkluth wrote:Wow does this ring a bell... My Dermatologist also diagnosed me quickly and dismissed my asking about any kind of biopsy or testing. Since then she's had me try various things that have not worked and some caused me severe side effects. The phototherapy is one of the least invasive and it's too soon to know yet whether it will work for me but I'm definitely going to insist on a biopsy to rule out that it may be something other than psoriatric Arthritis.


Hi again,

A biopsy is the only 100% sure dignosis of psoriasis. But for Arthritis it is a blood test, so you may well need 2 tests to properly diagnose both conditions. Of course visual "educated guesses" of psoriais are often accurate, but not always. Some skin cancers can look exactly like psoriasis patches. Skin fungas and other infections can also look exactly like psoriasis...........
Nick Balgowan.
----------------------------------------
http://www.tcgindustrial.com.au
http://www.dermaray.com
http://www.beatpsoriasis.com
----------------------------------------
User avatar
Nick Balgowan
Site Admin
 
Posts: 267
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2006 12:29 pm
Location: Australia

Re: misdiagnosed

Postby evie89 » Tue Jun 01, 2010 10:24 am

Has anyone here tried any of the best eczema treatment suggestions here?
evie89
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Jun 01, 2010 10:19 am

Re: misdiagnosed

Postby Matthew Balgowan » Sat Jun 05, 2010 9:14 am

I can't say that I have. Have you and how did you find it?
Matt Balgowan.
----------------------------------------
http://www.tcgindustrial.com.au
http://www.dermaray.com
http://www.beatpsoriasis.com
----------------------------------------
Matthew Balgowan
Newbie
 
Posts: 20
Joined: Sat Dec 12, 2009 8:57 am

Re: misdiagnosed

Postby wahleena » Thu Sep 15, 2011 1:44 pm

What does a benign mole biopsy with cell changes mean? I had a mole biopsy yesterday. The results said that though there is no cancer, there are some cell changes. My doctor said that more skin will need to be removed once this is healed. What does this mean exactly? I am very scared.
wahleena
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Sep 06, 2011 5:31 pm

Re: misdiagnosed

Postby Leasyloo » Sat Sep 22, 2012 5:57 am

Yes I know all about misdisagnosis from my late teens. Doctors and skin specialists kept telling me I had chronic dermatitis, even though I told them my father had psoriasis. All they do is put you on antibiotics and cortisone treatments which I dont like because they can be addictive and after an initial period of time they dont work. They dont thoroughly look into what may be causing it, they just try and treat it but it doesnt work that way. Diet (plenty of fruit & vegs - less red meat), vitamin supplements, plenty of exercise and no stress (ha ha) is what is required. I believe now you can treat it naturally.
Leasyloo
 
Posts: 6
Joined: Mon Jul 27, 2009 6:03 pm


Return to Dermatitis chatter

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest