Moisturisers

Chat, questions, suggestions and comments about Psoriasis and psoriasis treatments go in here.

Moisturisers

Postby waffnap » Wed May 31, 2006 2:53 am

Other than E45 lotion that I am using at the moment, can anyone reccomend any other moisturisers for the lower legs :)
Jules
Little light, shining........
waffnap
Power ranger

Postby waffnap » Thu Jun 01, 2006 4:02 am

Shall I take that as a no then!! :( :lol: :lol:
waffnap
Power ranger

Postby richo » Thu Jun 01, 2006 9:59 am

i also suffer p in the lower legs which go from front of leg to rear of leg , i use sorbelene cream that seems to help keep moistured, but another cream i used that seemed to reduce the red colour a little by the second day of application is Glucosamine body cream 500g this cost about $14.50 in melbourne Australia, i am also on about day seven i think of the dermalight 80 and am having good results on my arms, and patches clearing on my legs however is very time consuming taking me about 1.5hr just to do half the body and i do top half the next day, the surface light of the dermalight is not big so if u have a lot of p it takes a lot of time to get to each area, however at least i can do it in comfort of home and listen to radio so can put up with it and to be honest if i can have p cleared i would spend several hr each day just to have clearance , i will lwt u know how dermalight 80 results go but so far im happy although cost of hand set high , the price i have paid for all the creams over the years pales when when off set against cost of machine. how u going with the cherries,????????????????/
richo

Postby hkluth » Fri Jun 02, 2006 12:14 am

I find that using a lot of creams (even ones with no scent added) often burn when they hit the psoraisis patches. The one that doesn't seem to hurt as bad is a Gerber Baby lotion called Grins and Giggles. I can even use the scented variety in that. It isn't oily and soaks in very quickly so I have to apply it often but I'd rather do that than have some sticky, greasy ointment type moisturizer on during the day. At night, I use just plain Vaseline (Petroleum Jelly) and coat my hands liberally just before going to sleep. The Vaseline is kind of messy, so a pair of cloth gloves help to protect sheets and pillow while still giving the skin a chance to breathe.
~ Heather ~
hkluth

Postby moodindigo » Fri Jun 02, 2006 6:09 am

Diprobase used lavishly and frequently helps but I find Oilatum after my shower and Vaseline at night and on coming in from work (being outside dries my hands and makes them crack) helps,

Will be seeing the consultant for the first time in a couple of weeks.

My P is the palmar type so the scaly bits crack and bleed and I find that putting a plaster over the sore parts at night with a great splodge of Diprobase and Vaseline over Sudacrem baby antiseptic, really helps a lot. I'm not sure how you'd manage that over large areas - maybe elasticated bandages?????

I try not to use the steroids unless I have to.
moodindigo

Postby waffnap » Sat Jun 03, 2006 6:20 pm

Thanks for the replies everyone much appreciated. It's nice to know we can all share general advice and read what creams and ointments work and don't for us.
Steroid creams are also a big no for me too, they burn the skin and make it more itchy.
Good luck on your visit to the consultant Moodindigo keep us posted.
Heather I am pleased that you have found something to give you light relief as small as that may be.
Richo, I am still on with cherries I don't give up that easily :lol:
Jules
waffnap
Power ranger

Postby hkluth » Mon Jun 05, 2006 1:42 pm

The lotions and moisturizers do help in the short term but I've found that they also have the effect of changing the texture of the scales that crack and peel. When I leave my hands with no moisturizers, the skin thickens and cracks but peels in flakes (like a sunburn peel). When I keep moisturized, the skin thickens like a callous and is rubbery as it peels. This means that it peels more deeply at one time rather than the slow constant dry peeling with out the moisturizer. Leaving them dry though leaves my hands vulnerable to catching the dry spots on things (like paper or clothing), which is very irritating.

Yes, for large areas, I've gotten quite creative about how to bandage them. I have sections where the entire front and both sides of my finger is peeling all at once. Peeling inside the joints is particularly hard to bandage and still be able to use my fingers. I use the stretchy cloth bandages and since I'm sensitive to the adhesives, I put a layer of stretchy gauze around the finger first. Then the bandages go over the gauze and stick to themselves.

Bandaging where I work is important because I work inside a computer room and the door is opened by a standard type doorknob. If it is slippery from greasy hand lotions, it is hard to impossible to get out in a hurry. Not a good situation... :oops:
~ Heather ~
hkluth

Re: Moisturisers

Postby sharontealady » Fri Jul 21, 2006 10:02 am

waffnap wrote:Other than E45 lotion that I am using at the moment, can anyone reccomend any other moisturisers for the lower legs :)
Jules

Hi Jules!

I get dry and cracked heels and also dry elbows that hurt even when nothing is touching them. So far I've found the only thing that works for me is Olive Magic. I put it on once to twice daily. I'm VERY happy with it. It has only olive oil and beeswax and smells mildly of beeswax. Here's the link: http://www.olivemagic.com.

Good luck!
Sharon
sharontealady@yahoo.com
sharontealady

moisturizers

Postby ktcats994 » Sat Jul 22, 2006 12:47 pm

I am new to this forum and not sure that my diagnosis is psoriasis. If so, it is very early stages. However, I have found that Eucerin redness cream (not sure of the name - there is a wash and redness remover-new on the market :?: ) helps with rosacea and some other red areas on my body. After I see the dermatologist, I will post here if appropriate.
ktcats994

Postby MIA » Sun Jul 30, 2006 9:58 am

I don't know if this will help but when mine gets at its worst, I use a spray on moisturizer called Skin so Soft. It helps quite a bit a moisturizes longer than others. :D
Mia C
Life's a highway and I'm speedin!
MIA

mousurisers for psoriasis and dry skin

Postby BigDaddy » Sat Aug 19, 2006 7:26 pm

hkluth wrote:I find that using a lot of creams (even ones with no scent added) often burn when they hit the psoraisis patches. The one that doesn't seem to hurt as bad is a Gerber Baby lotion called Grins and Giggles. I can even use the scented variety in that. It isn't oily and soaks in very quickly so I have to apply it often but I'd rather do that than have some sticky, greasy ointment type moisturizer on during the day. At night, I use just plain Vaseline (Petroleum Jelly) and coat my hands liberally just before going to sleep. The Vaseline is kind of messy, so a pair of cloth gloves help to protect sheets and pillow while still giving the skin a chance to breathe.

don't ask me about moisturises! I have a wardrobe full of them. the best thing I have found is organic and pure OLIVE OIL. can't beat it, it doesn't sting, it doesn't smell and not a single additive or purfume. just don't go near any italian cafe !
BigDaddy
Power ranger

psoriasis on the hands?

Postby BigDaddy » Sat Aug 19, 2006 7:29 pm

moodindigo wrote:Diprobase used lavishly and frequently helps but I find Oilatum after my shower and Vaseline at night and on coming in from work (being outside dries my hands and makes them crack) helps,

Will be seeing the consultant for the first time in a couple of weeks.

My P is the palmar type so the scaly bits crack and bleed and I find that putting a plaster over the sore parts at night with a great splodge of Diprobase and Vaseline over Sudacrem baby antiseptic, really helps a lot. I'm not sure how you'd manage that over large areas - maybe elasticated bandages?????

I try not to use the steroids unless I have to.

I knew you could get psoriasis under the finger nails, but I didn't realise on the palms of your hands. learn something new every day.
BigDaddy
Power ranger

flaking psoriasis dry skin

Postby BigDaddy » Sat Aug 19, 2006 7:31 pm

hkluth wrote:The lotions and moisturizers do help in the short term but I've found that they also have the effect of changing the texture of the scales that crack and peel. When I leave my hands with no moisturizers, the skin thickens and cracks but peels in flakes (like a sunburn peel). When I keep moisturized, the skin thickens like a callous and is rubbery as it peels. This means that it peels more deeply at one time rather than the slow constant dry peeling with out the moisturizer. Leaving them dry though leaves my hands vulnerable to catching the dry spots on things (like paper or clothing), which is very irritating.

Yes, for large areas, I've gotten quite creative about how to bandage them. I have sections where the entire front and both sides of my finger is peeling all at once. Peeling inside the joints is particularly hard to bandage and still be able to use my fingers. I use the stretchy cloth bandages and since I'm sensitive to the adhesives, I put a layer of stretchy gauze around the finger first. Then the bandages go over the gauze and stick to themselves.

Bandaging where I work is important because I work inside a computer room and the door is opened by a standard type doorknob. If it is slippery from greasy hand lotions, it is hard to impossible to get out in a hurry. Not a good situation... :oops:

wow, that is basically what happens with my skin if I use a moisturiser, but it doens't happen with olive oil! I also read some place that if you use moisturises too much too often, your own skin slows or stops making natural skin oil. is that true or a wife's tail? I guess my question is, can you use too much skin moisturisers, would anybody know?
BigDaddy
Power ranger

Re: moisturizers

Postby BigDaddy » Sat Aug 19, 2006 7:33 pm

ktcats994 wrote:I am new to this forum and not sure that my diagnosis is psoriasis. If so, it is very early stages. However, I have found that Eucerin redness cream (not sure of the name - there is a wash and redness remover-new on the market :?: ) helps with rosacea and some other red areas on my body. After I see the dermatologist, I will post here if appropriate.

hello. I think you need to get a good doctor onto your condition ASAP. there is little point throwing treatments at something if you are not sure what you have? I made that mistake for far far too long.
BigDaddy
Power ranger

moisturizers

Postby Bruce » Sun Aug 20, 2006 10:53 am

I found that Curel Intensive Healing works pretty well. It leaves the skin with a good feel to it and seems to soak in nicely. In addition to that I use the store brand equivalent to Eucerin. Unfortunately, neither seem to do much in the way of getting rid of the problem.

Bruce
Bruce

Next

Return to Psoriasis chatter