Free psoriasis diet tips and general psoriasis information.

This is the members only section to discuss psoriais diets, tips, what works for you and what does not work for you

Do you think psoriasis can be solved by changing your diet?

Yes, absolutely
31%
No, if it were that simple nobody would have psoriasis
27%
I have absolutely no idea
42%

Total votes : 74

Free psoriasis diet tips and general psoriasis information.

Postby Nick Balgowan » Thu May 11, 2006 3:26 pm

Previously we supplied this information for free on our web page, but found people often copied and abused our information. So it now appears here in a member's only forum, this section is only available to registered members to view and discuss - Enjoy.

Don't forget for your chance to win a home phototherapy unit valued at $595 please see our online competitions at www.beatpsoriasis.com/competitions.htm We run a new competition each month so you have a chance to win every month!

Not only are we one of the largest phototherapy equipment suppliers in the world, but we honestly believe in the technology and use phototherapy equipment ourselves, something none of our competitors can claim.

Firstly we would like to thank you for your interest and support and provide you the results of our 10 year online psoriasis survey compiled from over 25,000 respondents which includes our psoriasis diet recommendations.

1. Psoriasis is most likely hereditary and nothing you have done has actually caused your psoriasis

2. Some foods and conditions may worsen psoriasis (and this could be anything for each particular person)

3. There is a strong correlation between psoriasis and arthritis

4. Psoriasis suffers do not seem to drink enough fresh water daily

5. Acidic and salty foods may contribute to worsen psoriasis conditions

6. UVB light treatment is the widest accepted treatment for psoriasis with the highest results

7. UVB light treatment is the only treatment with the least side effect and is 100% drug free

8. Special diets have no discernable wide spread effects (the National Psoriasis Foundation of America has always said this)

9. There is large misconception about the side effects of popular psoriasis drugs

It appears psoriasis sufferers should:

- eat less red meats
- eat less tomatoes and reduce all acidic foods
- eat more oily fish and white meats (pork, chicken etc)
- eat more green leafy vegetables
- eat more watery vegetables
- drink much more clean water
- stop consumption of alcohol and caffeine
- avoid foods containing salts and sodium such as MSG

We are also looking for your "real life" stories to publish on our web page. Rather than having us only promote our ideas, we would greatly appreciate your support in making our web page informative and beneficial to as many different psoriasis sufferers as possible. Obviously names will be kept strictly confidential. After all, knowledge is power!

Lets address some of your common questions and concerns. Nearly all the information that we have available is either in this email, or published on our web page at http://www.beatpsoriasis.com We are striving to build an informative and friendly web page with active and up-to-date content. Your feedback and participation will help us include more relevant information particularly tailored for you. We will not attempt to sell "magic detox" diets or a secret herb to cure your psoriasis.
Nick Balgowan.
----------------------------------------
http://www.tcgindustrial.com.au
http://www.dermaray.com
http://www.beatpsoriasis.com
Nick Balgowan
Site Admin

Postby waffnap » Fri May 12, 2006 3:53 am

Thanks Nick that's very imformative. I had never thought or heard about diet being linked with P before, it's certainly opened up my eyes. I just thought it was hereditory, though there is no one in my family that has ever had P....If I think back real hard to when I first noticed my P i can link it to having a severe throat infection and lost my voice. UnfortunatelyI use my voice all the time in my job and it does get overused a lot.
I have thought a lot about my diet of late and have cut out bread as a starter. It's so difficult sometimes to know where to start and what to cut out or down on first. Does anyone know if there is a test I could take to confirm what foods I should avoid or is it just trial and error??
Ever hopeful
Jules :)
Little light, shining........
waffnap
Power ranger

Postby shamael » Fri May 12, 2006 5:47 am

While searching the web for ayurvedic treatment of P i find a free ebook from the site http://www.ayurvedicclinic.net/ which states as the following about the food.

PROHIBITED FOODS AND BEHAVIORS:
During the treatment of P following foods and behaviors are prohibited
Milk,Yogurt(Curd),sugarcane products,new rice right after harvesting,fish,meats(except wild bird meat),too much salt in diet,acid fruits and foods,vinegar,too much oily foods and preparations, raw radish,over eating ,hot or cold conditions or drink without interval, sleeping during the day especially right after the meal, withholding the natural urges of stool; urine or gas, swimming right after sun bath, violation of the social discipline.

RECOMMENDED DIET:
Barley,whole-wheat bread, honey, eggs, brown rice, bean soup especially of mung-bean,Orange lentile etc, meat of wild bird, grean vegetables especiallybitter in taste,sweat and astringent fruits(not sour),ghee, butter and cheese(moderately), boiled and filtered water to drink,tea , coffee(not after meal or duing the period of digestion of meal ) etc.

I personally never find any difference prohibiting or taking any sort of diet in my case of P.
Shamael Rehan
shamael

Postby shamael » Fri May 12, 2006 6:29 am

Another article with the title "Ease That Ich" i read from the site of www.mercola.com which states about the diet treatment.

Dietary Treatments:

For both conditions(Psoriasis and Eczema), you will need to begin by eliminating sugar and refined and processed foods from your diet. This means avoiding table sugar, foods that contain sugar or high fructose corn syrup, any white food, like white bread, biscuits, pizza dough, baked goods, anything that comes in a box and most canned foods.

The next step is to avoid food irritants and allergens. For skin conditions that may be caused by food allergies or intolerances, I highly recommend the Elimination Diet. Go to www.yeastconnection.com for a detailed plan to eliminate suspect foods from your diet and then gradually re-introduce them, making detailed observations to determine which ones may be causing your problems. (Look under the Yeast Fighting Program section.) You can suspect a food allergy if you have continual craving for that food, or eat it every day.

for complete article go the following link.
http://www.mercola.com/2004/dec/1/ease_that_itch.htm
Shamael Rehan
shamael

psoriasis diet treatments

Postby Nick Balgowan » Fri May 12, 2006 1:03 pm

shamael wrote:Another article with the title "Ease That Ich" i read from the site of www.mercola.com which states about the diet treatment.

Dietary Treatments:

For both conditions(Psoriasis and Eczema), you will need to begin by eliminating sugar and refined and processed foods from your diet. This means avoiding table sugar, foods that contain sugar or high fructose corn syrup, any white food, like white bread, biscuits, pizza dough, baked goods, anything that comes in a box and most canned foods.

The next step is to avoid food irritants and allergens. For skin conditions that may be caused by food allergies or intolerances, I highly recommend the Elimination Diet. Go to www.yeastconnection.com for a detailed plan to eliminate suspect foods from your diet and then gradually re-introduce them, making detailed observations to determine which ones may be causing your problems. (Look under the Yeast Fighting Program section.) You can suspect a food allergy if you have continual craving for that food, or eat it every day.

for complete article go the following link.
http://www.mercola.com/2004/dec/1/ease_that_itch.htm

Hi there,

I would be very interested to know if anybody has had experience with this diet. but it is also very important to note that no diet is a recognised medical treatment for psoriais or eczema. A particular diet may have good results for one person, but no result for another. In years gone past it was the protein free diet, then the dairy free diet, then the green vegitable diet and yeast and sugar free diets. It is more likely that each person can eliminate particular foods that may aggrevate their particular condition. But the process you are explaining about isolating particular food groups is a great start.
Nick Balgowan.
http://www.tcgindustrial.com.au
http://www.dermaray.com
http://www.beatpsoriasis.com
Nick Balgowan
Site Admin

Diet abundant in liquid form

Postby thvan Ng » Wed May 31, 2006 7:43 am

Drinking lots of clear water will help cleansing your system, therefore, would help liver's function better. then a diet with lots of greeny leafy vegetable and all sorts of clear soup had helped me reduce flare-ups.

Plus sun-bathing 10 minutes a day would added to the ease as well.

cheers
thvanng
thvan Ng

Re: Diet abundant in liquid form

Postby waffnap » Thu Jun 01, 2006 3:59 am

thvan Ng wrote:Plus sun-bathing 10 minutes a day
cheers

Here in England the part where I live has seen very little sun this year but the weekend is looking good 8)
I Love tea and it's been really hard cutting down and replacing with water but I have been doing this for over two weeks now. I once had kidney stones and was advised to drink lots of water all the time.
Jules
waffnap
Power ranger

Postby CDC » Fri Jun 02, 2006 12:18 am

Hi,

I just joined this website also looking for some good healthy eating diet tips, and thought I'd share what I've found.

Its definitely true that a whole host of things cause flair-ups, but avoiding certain foods and drinks (unfortunately!) does help. I find fizzy drinks are a definite no-no, especially all the artificial sugar rich drinks such as sprite and coke. Green tea is a great cleanser and is quite beneficial, I've recently cut out a caffeine too so I'll let you know how that goes.

Smoking definitely makes it worse, and yes, excessive alcohol consumption does too, but everything in moderation right? :twisted: Also my brother swears by hibiscus tea, but I'm not so fond of it. Another thing that seems to help is cutting out white carbs.

I hope this is of some help, maybe others agree?
CDC

Postby waffnap » Sat Jun 03, 2006 5:55 pm

Hello CDC and welcome :)
It's great having a place like this where we can all share information.

Goeorge Orwell described the perfect cup of tea as "One of the mainstays of civilisation" and certainly it's been at the centre of my life for many a generation. There is always a pot of tea continuously on the go from first thing, nothing beats a good brew. My choice of tea is quite strong so perhaps I should consider changing my tipple to green tea - a much more lighter delicate taste no? It would be easy to stop the alcohol and fizzy drinks as I seldom have them.

I gave up smoking about five months ago now and haven't noticed any significant change HOWEVER there has been no new outbreaks either so perhaps it has had an effect on my P.
Jules
waffnap
Power ranger

Green tea

Postby thvan Ng » Tue Jun 06, 2006 8:59 am

Hi all,

For me, green tea is the best, plain or combined with roasted brown rice (sold as is already mixed inside the fusion tea bag).

Good luck to all on our way to healthy living.
thvanng
thvan Ng

Postby caldispatcher » Fri Jun 23, 2006 10:33 pm

I went off wheat about 1 1/2 years ago, now if I eat to much wheat, my P blisters and is very painful. Corn seems to bring an even bigger reaction. I just gave up (starting yesterday) several things including wheat (already done), corn, soy, red meats, dairy, caffeine (started this 4 weeks ago) and aspartame (heard it turns into formaldahyde in your body which can't be good for anyone!). What's left? Not much, chicken, turkey, most veggies and fruits, rice or nut milk...no sugar so I use stevia. Most of my shopping is organic. Will let you know.... 8)
........Terin
caldispatcher

Postby waffnap » Sat Jun 24, 2006 5:00 am

Well it sounds like you have tried most things to no avail :cry: I wish you all the best in your change of diet and really hope it works for you :lol: I buy a few organic produce but I find it can be costly especially for people that have a large family...Looking forward to reading your results.
Jules :D
waffnap
Power ranger

Diet

Postby lil'froggie » Mon Jun 26, 2006 1:26 pm

Hi all! This is my first post, how exciting!
Anyway, I tried a natropath-led diet program (at a very high cost) that involved following a strongly alkaline diet: lots of green leafy vegies, small amount of protein once a day (no red meat or dairy), no fruit except one apple a day, no alcohol or caffeine, no breads, rice or pasta, lots of water. On this diet, apart from being very hungry and cranky, my psoriasis became the worst it's ever been and trebled in size! This was in conjunction with taking nine supplement tablets three times a day and using a "special formula" cleanser and lotion. A very expensive failure! I now just try to be healthy and I do find that I flare if I don't eat lots of vegies. I have heard it can be helpful to eliminate what's called the nightshade family of vegetables: includes tomatoes, capsicums (or peppers) and potatoes.
it isn't easy being green....
lil'froggie

Postby caldispatcher » Wed Jun 28, 2006 9:22 am

Wow! Sorry to hear that with all that expense it got worse. I'm not going to the extreme of special supplements (except calcium and vitamins). I'm eating several ounces of protein 3 times a day and of course lots of veggies AND fruits. Sounds like the natropath person was treating you for a Candida Yeast infection (only cuz it sounds like a book I read about it). I figure I can't give up much more than I have or I would go nuts and couldn't stick to it..you gotta eat something and the added stress...yikes! So far going well for me, face cleared up immediately and I actually had compliments at work (don't think it would be the diet that fast). However, I have had a slight flare up, raised and red....but this usually happens just before my P starts to clear...so keeping my fingers crossed! :wink:
........Terin
caldispatcher

Postby lil'froggie » Mon Jul 03, 2006 11:59 am

Hi caldispatcher, glad to hear things look like they're clearing up for you.
I'm trying a gentler version of the diet I was put on at the moment but not really seeing any results as yet. I think I'll start drinking green tea as well.
it isn't easy being green....
lil'froggie

Next

Return to Psoriasis diet discussion