hi I'm new here and fairly newly diagnosed

Chat, questions, suggestions and comments about Psoriasis and psoriasis treatments go in here.

hi I'm new here and fairly newly diagnosed

Postby moodindigo » Thu May 25, 2006 7:51 pm

hi I'm new here and fairly newly diagnosed and any advice you can offer would be very much appreciated.

I went to the doctor before Christmas because I'd realised that my very very sore cracked and scaling elbows were probably psoriasis, I'd also had a red symptomless patch on my leg for about a year, which a previous GP had said was eczema :roll: and a scaling area on my palm that had been there for some months,

I was diagnosed as having P and given a steroid cream, this held it in check but it carried on spreading and I now have a patch over almost the whole of my left palm and some on my right palm, my elbows flare up and the soles of my feet get very sore and scale.

I'm wating to be seen at the hospital and am currently using Diprobase and Oilatum and Dovobet (not a lot as I don't like the long term side effects).

I find Vaseline really helps when my skin gets really dry and is shaling off.

In the last couple of weeks I've come up with sore patches on my waist and collar bone that I think may simply be an allergic reaction to something as they are exactly like the reaction I had to the sticky plasters when I had a 48 hour ECG - I'm hoping they aren't psoriasis as well?

It seems as though I have the palmar form?

Is there anything else I can do/use? any advice?

The only family history is my grandfather, though I was unaware of it at the time, my mother said he did have problems.
moodindigo
Newbie
 
Posts: 10
Joined: Mon May 22, 2006 7:24 pm
Location: england

Postby moodindigo » Fri May 26, 2006 8:07 pm

hhmmmm ... no replies :cry:
moodindigo
Newbie
 
Posts: 10
Joined: Mon May 22, 2006 7:24 pm
Location: england

Re: hi I'm new here and fairly newly diagnosed

Postby Nick Balgowan » Fri May 26, 2006 10:27 pm

moodindigo wrote:hi I'm new here and fairly newly diagnosed and any advice you can offer would be very much appreciated.

I went to the doctor before Christmas because I'd realised that my very very sore cracked and scaling elbows were probably psoriasis, I'd also had a red symptomless patch on my leg for about a year, which a previous GP had said was eczema :roll: and a scaling area on my palm that had been there for some months,

I was diagnosed as having P and given a steroid cream, this held it in check but it carried on spreading and I now have a patch over almost the whole of my left palm and some on my right palm, my elbows flare up and the soles of my feet get very sore and scale.

I'm wating to be seen at the hospital and am currently using Diprobase and Oilatum and Dovobet (not a lot as I don't like the long term side effects).

I find Vaseline really helps when my skin gets really dry and is shaling off.

In the last couple of weeks I've come up with sore patches on my waist and collar bone that I think may simply be an allergic reaction to something as they are exactly like the reaction I had to the sticky plasters when I had a 48 hour ECG - I'm hoping they aren't psoriasis as well?

It seems as though I have the palmar form?

Is there anything else I can do/use? any advice?

The only family history is my grandfather, though I was unaware of it at the time, my mother said he did have problems.


Hello, you are not being ignored, I have just been very busy of late. It does sound like your patches that react may possibly be a form of dermatitis, but you obviously need to get this checked by a good dermatologist who knows their stuff. As you have seen, the steroids can cover the problem for a short while, but in the long term generally seem to cause more trouble than they are sometimes worth. If you have lots of dry parts and scaling you may benefit from a mild coal tar bath additive, if vaseline is giving you relief you can apply that after you bath soaking perhaps?
Nick Balgowan.
----------------------------------------
http://www.tcgindustrial.com.au
http://www.dermaray.com
http://www.beatpsoriasis.com
----------------------------------------
User avatar
Nick Balgowan
Site Admin
 
Posts: 267
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2006 12:29 pm
Location: Australia

Postby waffnap » Sat May 27, 2006 4:24 am

Hello Moodindigo and welcome :)
I was diagnosed with having eczema to begin with as per my GP who then reffered me to the hospital. The specialist wasn't sure what it was to begin with and treated me as having ecezma too. I was given a substance called itchapste to apply to the affected area and it cleared up and went altogether.
About a year later I had a break out of it all over my arms, elbows legs and trunk of my body. I was prescribed Dovabet and Dovenex and tar preparation, different strengths,to which neither really had any impact in fact it made it worse. The Derm. then reffered me to the nurse on the ward who I can call at any time. She says it's just a matter of finding the right treatment for me and my P.I just make sure I moisturise all the time even though it gets really tiresome at times :( just to stop the itching.

I found that UVB light treatment was very effective and I noticed a significant change within weeks. Even though this treatment is very time consuming It was well worth it. I noticed a significant change after about four weeks.
I wish you lots of luck on your visit to the hospital please keep us updated.
Jules
Little light, shining........
User avatar
waffnap
Power ranger
 
Posts: 117
Joined: Mon May 01, 2006 4:01 am
Location: England

Postby richo » Sat May 27, 2006 9:09 pm

welcome to the site, i am sorry to hear of your plight,this is a difficult condition depending on where psoriasis is located on the body, in summer people always say to me ,"arnt u hot in those long trousers , or why dont u wear a t shirt instead of that long sleeve" to be brave to just strip down when summer is here is just something not in my nature, i have felt the eyes of people falling on me and heard the whispers , whats he got , look at him. a quiet beach in summer helps as i can submerge in the water and feel for a while at least normality , and the sun sure helps the condition, i wish u well with results and can offer u the hope that some new treatments seem to be underway so hopefully a drug will appear that can control our skin ,cell condition , i am into about day 5 with my dermalight 80 and already seeing good result clearing on my arms but lower legs are not clearing as fast
so maybee the light treatment may be an option for u,
richo
 
Posts: 8
Joined: Tue May 23, 2006 4:48 pm
Location: melbourne australia

Postby waffnap » Sat May 27, 2006 10:06 pm

richo wrote:already seeing good result clearing on my arms but lower legs are not clearing as fast

Personally for me phototherapy was the best source of treatment in clearing or reducing the P. Obviously it will be different for each person but this was the most effective. I felt i was able to go swimming without feeling ashamed of how I looked to other people. Although I have it under control on my arms and body I can't seem to find any relief from the knees down. The hospital did tell me that the bottom leg area is the most difficult to treat or notice any visible signs of improvement with the light treatment.
It's finding something that works best for you I guess.
Little light, shining........
User avatar
waffnap
Power ranger
 
Posts: 117
Joined: Mon May 01, 2006 4:01 am
Location: England

Postby moodindigo » Sun May 28, 2006 6:26 pm

thanks everyone

I don't have it too badly compared with a lot of people - but what worries me is that it is spreading :(

My dermatology appointment is in June - I did wonder about icthapaste as I've heard of it. I'm sure it would help the soles of my feet, which can get really sore. The end of my thumb gets sore from time to time and I treat that by covering it with a plaster covered in a mix of the Diprobase and vaseline and if it's raw and bleeding add Sudacrem (childrens antiseptic suitable for nappy rashes, which really helps with any infection and is very gentle and seem to speed healing). The steroids say not to cover the area so I don't use that.

I'll ask about phototherapy at my appointment to see if it would help with the kind I've got.

Thanks again :D
moodindigo
Newbie
 
Posts: 10
Joined: Mon May 22, 2006 7:24 pm
Location: england

Postby waffnap » Sun May 28, 2006 7:51 pm

Hello Moodindigo,
I'm so sorry to hear that it's spreading it's so frustrating at times I know. I have never had it on the soles of my feet poor you i really do feel for you. There is help out there and at least you have done the right thing by doing something about it.
What's nice about this place is being able to share with others and know we are not alone with this blooming condition.
Good luck on your visit to the hospital I feel sure you will be in good hands and trust you will find relief real soon.
love Julesx
Little light, shining........
User avatar
waffnap
Power ranger
 
Posts: 117
Joined: Mon May 01, 2006 4:01 am
Location: England

update from dermatologist?

Postby BigDaddy » Sun Aug 20, 2006 8:45 pm

moodindigo wrote:thanks everyone

I don't have it too badly compared with a lot of people - but what worries me is that it is spreading :(

My dermatology appointment is in June - I did wonder about icthapaste as I've heard of it. I'm sure it would help the soles of my feet, which can get really sore. The end of my thumb gets sore from time to time and I treat that by covering it with a plaster covered in a mix of the Diprobase and vaseline and if it's raw and bleeding add Sudacrem (childrens antiseptic suitable for nappy rashes, which really helps with any infection and is very gentle and seem to speed healing). The steroids say not to cover the area so I don't use that.

I'll ask about phototherapy at my appointment to see if it would help with the kind I've got.

Thanks again :D


hi again. have you been again to your dermatologist, did they recommend any new treatment for you? I hope something works, but it seems to take time to find something that works for you?
BigDaddy
Power ranger
 
Posts: 105
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2006 9:24 am


Return to Psoriasis chatter

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest