Psychological

Chat, questions, suggestions and comments about Psoriasis and psoriasis treatments go in here.

Psychological

Postby uk-viciouscircles » Wed May 17, 2006 5:25 am

I hadnt realised how badly this can effect some people until I started researching it a bit more, Jesus! it has made me think about some of my own behaviour and I think I have found that I have quite a lot of frustration and anger that has built up over the 10 years or so I have had it. However, this anger isnt AT anyone so it builds and comes out in odd ways, like Ill drink myself oblivious, or Ill try and belittle people in a conservation, to try and compensate?

I think the most depressing thing is, its a harsh world sometimes, and this condition somehow puts me down the pecking order in the Darwinian scheme of things, but it also makes me think of people like THierry Henry, who has been today saying the anger of his childhood poverty drove him on to be the best.

Just a few thoughts I have been having. And yes, I dont think anyone who doesnt have psoriasis understands its a big deal.
uk-viciouscircles

Re: Psychological

Postby Nick Balgowan » Wed May 17, 2006 10:47 am

uk-viciouscircles wrote:I hadnt realised how badly this can effect some people until I started researching it a bit more, Jesus! it has made me think about some of my own behaviour and I think I have found that I have quite a lot of frustration and anger that has built up over the 10 years or so I have had it. However, this anger isnt AT anyone so it builds and comes out in odd ways, like Ill drink myself oblivious, or Ill try and belittle people in a conservation, to try and compensate?

I think the most depressing thing is, its a harsh world sometimes, and this condition somehow puts me down the pecking order in the Darwinian scheme of things, but it also makes me think of people like THierry Henry, who has been today saying the anger of his childhood poverty drove him on to be the best.

Just a few thoughts I have been having. And yes, I dont think anyone who doesnt have psoriasis understands its a big deal.

Hello,

Yes, all too true. It is a pitty with so many sufferers that no government anywhere really takes it seriously. Because there are not many direct deaths from psoriasis it is not typically high on the health agenda. However, in Australia nearly 1/2 of hospital admissions are from smoking related illness which clogs the health system, yet psoriasis sufferers need to hunt high and low for quality medical care - it really is appauling.
Nick Balgowan.
----------------------------------------
http://www.tcgindustrial.com.au
http://www.dermaray.com
http://www.beatpsoriasis.com
----------------------------------------
Nick Balgowan
Site Admin

Postby hkluth » Fri May 19, 2006 12:57 am

Here in America too. I have had Arthritis in my back for most of my life (currently am considering spinal fusion for L1-S5 discs) and the pain that that has caused is a real test of one's personality and emotional state. Now, about a year ago, I started with psoriasis on my hands and my GP started me on steroid lotions for it. It didn't help and as the condition and the pain grew worse, it put a real crimp in my ability to live a normal life and do the simple things that everyone takes for granted (things like gardening, crafs, cooking and even tying one's own shoes). The appearance, bleeding and dressings I can live with (and do) but the psychological state that the pain leaves me in is terrible sometimes. Being put on anti-depressants and anti-anxiety meds helps some, but has a ripple effect when it comes to getting Health and Life Insurance or switching jobs because of the stigma associated with them.

The doctor's answer is to reduce flare ups by reducing stress. That isn't always possible in this busy world where we are dealing with work, homes, children, spouses and all the allergies, illnesses (including cancer) and deaths that come with life in the Technology Age. Short of moving to some mountain-top and living like a Hermit, stress, pain from this condition and the accompanying mental/emotional burdent that accompanies them is with us to stay. There are some excellent classes on dealing with pain and the mental/emotional effects that they have on us but the one thing I've found that works the best is my mantra - - - "One day at a time - I can do this...".
~ Heather ~
hkluth

Return to Psoriasis chatter