late on set

Chat, questions, suggestions and comments about Psoriasis and psoriasis treatments go in here.

late on set

Postby cobba » Tue Apr 25, 2006 2:50 pm

hi everyone,

i am 26 and only really saw signs of psoriasis at about 24. it seemed to come and go and was only small and in in conspicuous areas. recently however it has been getitng worse and worse.

it seems to be worse in areas that rub all day. places like just abouce my belt on my lower back (really bad there) and on my feet. at the moment it is also really bad along the whole line or my undies!

the doc didnt like the look of my back as he thought it was infected so he put me on antibiotics along with advantan. unfort i was allergic to the antibiotics and my face blew up and i got a rash every where! lucky that has gone, hpwever the psoriasis is at its woprse at the moment.

i am thinking of gettng that phototherapy machine, however i just read that visits to booths at a dermo office are pretty cheap. i might try that 1st to see if it helps.

ill keep coming back here and ill let you know if i find anything that really works for me
cobba

Re: late on set

Postby Nick Balgowan » Wed Apr 26, 2006 2:29 pm

cobba wrote:hi everyone,

i am 26 and only really saw signs of psoriasis at about 24. it seemed to come and go and was only small and in in conspicuous areas. recently however it has been getitng worse and worse.

it seems to be worse in areas that rub all day. places like just abouce my belt on my lower back (really bad there) and on my feet. at the moment it is also really bad along the whole line or my undies!

the doc didnt like the look of my back as he thought it was infected so he put me on antibiotics along with advantan. unfort i was allergic to the antibiotics and my face blew up and i got a rash every where! lucky that has gone, hpwever the psoriasis is at its woprse at the moment.

i am thinking of gettng that phototherapy machine, however i just read that visits to booths at a dermo office are pretty cheap. i might try that 1st to see if it helps.

ill keep coming back here and ill let you know if i find anything that really works for me

Hello Cobba and welcome,

it is very possible that you may have a form of contact dermatitis. many skin conditions are regularly mis-diagnosed. In many cases doctors who are fond of prescribing anti-biotics can inflame and aggrevate conditions like psoriasis which are linked to your immune system. the only way to know if your condition is psoriasis for SURE is a skin biopsy and a microscopic examination. A visual examination of "yep, you have psoriasis" is not a valid diagnosis of psoriasis, it is just an educated or informed guess, usually correct, but I hear all the time of people being treated for the wrong condition, sometimes for 25 years........

UV phototherapy for psoriasis at a clinic or office can be relatively inexpensive as you do not need to purchase the machine, but you need to make sure the machine is properly maintained, otherwise the energy output of the bulbs can be critically low, and therefore the treatment is less effective. Also, phototherapy is clearly best when administered in smaller does, more often. like every second day for a few minutes. Clinics seem to do less frequent and higher or stronger treatments (e.g. less often but longer treatments) to reduce costs, but to also reduce inconveniences for their patients and time involved in obtaining the treatment etc.

But to cut a long story short, and without blatantly recommending home phototherapy, most research shows the benefits of home treatment, more frequent less intense (shorter) treatments. The actual therapy is just as powerful, its the application that is different by session times. As phototherpy is only a treatment, it is generally required ongoing - although less frequently as the treatment processes. Patients often start at a clinic and migrate to home treatment for the convenience and cost savings in time and travel etc.

I hope this helps.
Nick Balgowan.
----------------------------------------
http://www.tcgindustrial.com.au
http://www.dermaray.com
http://www.beatpsoriasis.com
----------------------------------------
Nick Balgowan
Site Admin

Postby cobba » Thu Apr 27, 2006 1:37 pm

thanks for the ersponce nick

i am booked in to see a local dermatologist. there is quite a waiting list so i wont be able top see him for 4 weeks.

in the mean time i will continue with my advantan and davonex and a tad of sun everyday. i will try relax more as well

thanks again for your help

Mark "Cobba"!
cobba

Postby BigDaddy » Sun Aug 20, 2006 9:40 pm

cobba wrote:thanks for the ersponce nick

i am booked in to see a local dermatologist. there is quite a waiting list so i wont be able top see him for 4 weeks.

in the mean time i will continue with my advantan and davonex and a tad of sun everyday. i will try relax more as well

thanks again for your help

Mark "Cobba"!

hi mark - what was the verdic after seeing your dermatologist?
BigDaddy
Power ranger

Return to Psoriasis chatter