Which Shampoo??

Chat, questions, suggestions and comments about Psoriasis and psoriasis treatments go in here.

Which Shampoo??

Postby Nick Balgowan » Wed Jun 07, 2006 9:55 am

We are asked daily which shampoo is the best for psoriasis sufferers. Our standard response is there is no single best shampoo that suits everyone. Some people find that the anti dandruff shampoos are good, but personally I find anything with the Zinc additive causes my head to redden and causes excessive drynss. Dandruff is a very different condition to psoriasis. I've tried just about every Coal Tar shampoo like TGel and the other brands but they seem to work for a few weeks, and then just cause excessive dryness again. At once stage I had temporary reliefe for a few months with the Canistan dandruff shampoo, but that also stopped working. I have tried the medicated Nioxin products and they simply hurt to use. I am now using the Loreal Dermacal products - simply becuase "I am worth it." But seriously, it seems the best so far.
Nick Balgowan.
----------------------------------------
http://www.tcgindustrial.com.au
http://www.dermaray.com
http://www.beatpsoriasis.com
----------------------------------------
Nick Balgowan
Site Admin

Postby hkluth » Fri Jun 09, 2006 2:06 am

LOL - We are all worth it... :lol:

I find the Loreal products to be very good but expensive for my whole family to use. I have very short hair so I don't need much. I found that even with short hair tho, I need to use a good conditioner or my scalp dries out.

My daughter has excess flaking in her hair too and is also starting some peeling on her hands. She has long hair so she uses more shampoo - but fortunately, she found that using the T-Gel and varying that with other medicated shampoos works for her. The one thing she found tho that works the best was using a 3 to 1 mixture of Vinegar in her final rinse after the conditioner. She says she smells like a salad for a few hours, but it really reduced the itchiness and flaking.
~ Heather ~
hkluth

Shampoo for Psorisis

Postby Strop » Sat Jul 15, 2006 7:15 pm

Hello, I have come across a good shampoo and conditioner for my psorisis (scalp) - it is Freedom Body - Natural Shampoo and Conditioner, you will need to get your local health food shop to order it, but I have found this to be quite good in controlling my scalp problems. It is not too expensive and they used to sell this shampoo and conditioner at the local IGA - Maybe give this one a go, it is currently working okay for me. Fiona (Strop)
Strop

Postby BigDaddy » Sat Aug 19, 2006 7:46 pm

hkluth wrote:LOL - We are all worth it... :lol:

I find the Loreal products to be very good but expensive for my whole family to use. I have very short hair so I don't need much. I found that even with short hair tho, I need to use a good conditioner or my scalp dries out.

My daughter has excess flaking in her hair too and is also starting some peeling on her hands. She has long hair so she uses more shampoo - but fortunately, she found that using the T-Gel and varying that with other medicated shampoos works for her. The one thing she found tho that works the best was using a 3 to 1 mixture of Vinegar in her final rinse after the conditioner. She says she smells like a salad for a few hours, but it really reduced the itchiness and flaking.

hello. I used T-Gel for a while and it worked for about 1-2 months, but after that it just seemed to make my head very red and dry. now I actually use a hand made soap that contains olive oil I think. it smells ok and seems very gentle.
BigDaddy
Power ranger

Re: Shampoo for Psorisis

Postby BigDaddy » Sat Aug 19, 2006 7:48 pm

Strop wrote:Hello, I have come across a good shampoo and conditioner for my psorisis (scalp) - it is Freedom Body - Natural Shampoo and Conditioner, you will need to get your local health food shop to order it, but I have found this to be quite good in controlling my scalp problems. It is not too expensive and they used to sell this shampoo and conditioner at the local IGA - Maybe give this one a go, it is currently working okay for me. Fiona (Strop)

hello strop. I completely agree with the natural shampoos and soap. I found however, that if I used conditioners it actually made my head worse. so I gave up on the shampoos and just use a natural soap - nothing works better for me now. and I have tried everything I could find. my only advice is to avoid anything medicated.
BigDaddy
Power ranger

Postby Lisaw » Sat Mar 10, 2007 3:45 pm

:D Olive oil works really well for me. Leave it on overnight and it seems to lift the flakes of skin. I also leave vinegar in my hair overnight and I mix it with my shampoo. Combination of these things works well.
Lisaw

Return to Psoriasis chatter