Psoriasis and respiratory problems...

Chat, questions, suggestions and comments about Psoriasis and psoriasis treatments go in here.

Psoriasis and respiratory problems...

Postby stina87 » Thu Mar 16, 2006 1:30 pm

Hey out there,
I'm new here, but I have been looking around the net for quite a while trying to find information about what is known about respiratory problems and the appearance of psoriasis. I developed what my doctors said they believed was psoriasis back when I was 7 or so, it most closely resembled the plaque form. My psoriasis first appeared as a single sore on my neck about the size of a teaspoon head. I then developed sores the size of my fingernails around it down to my chest, and when those had flared for a few weeks and then started to heal, I noticed another quarter-sized sore popping up on my shoulder which also developed a few smaller sores around it. My sores were tender and pink and flaky but never itched. I never had any huge patches of close together sores, and they appeared all over on my chest, back, stomach, arms & legs. I never developed any on my hands feet or scalp. The interesting correlation I have noted is that I was born prematurely, and was predisposed to many chronic respiratory problems. I litterally came down with bronchitis Every fall/winter of my life until only last year. The year I was diagnosed with psoriasis I had been experiencing an unusual amount of family stresses and my bronchitis had gone into mild pneumonia as well. I never made the connection between the two conditions until last year when for some reason I did not come down with my usual bronchitis. This winter is nearly over as well, and it will be the second year I did not have some type of respiratory infection. Curiously enough, sometime between now and last year my psoriasis has also been gone. My dermotologist now says my condition may not have been psoriasis afterall, because of how rare it is for the disease to go away completely.
I was particularly wondering if anyone else has noticed this correlation in their own experience, or if anyone knows any more about how repiratory problems and psoriasis are related. I'd be happy to hear anything about your experiences or what you have heard from other doctors.
Thanks a lot!!!!!!
stina87

Re: Psoriasis and respiratory problems...

Postby Nick Balgowan » Fri Mar 31, 2006 8:51 pm

stina87 wrote:Hey out there,
I'm new here, but I have been looking around the net for quite a while trying to find information about what is known about respiratory problems and the appearance of psoriasis. I developed what my doctors said they believed was psoriasis back when I was 7 or so, it most closely resembled the plaque form. My psoriasis first appeared as a single sore on my neck about the size of a teaspoon head. I then developed sores the size of my fingernails around it down to my chest, and when those had flared for a few weeks and then started to heal, I noticed another quarter-sized sore popping up on my shoulder which also developed a few smaller sores around it. My sores were tender and pink and flaky but never itched. I never had any huge patches of close together sores, and they appeared all over on my chest, back, stomach, arms & legs. I never developed any on my hands feet or scalp. The interesting correlation I have noted is that I was born prematurely, and was predisposed to many chronic respiratory problems. I litterally came down with bronchitis Every fall/winter of my life until only last year. The year I was diagnosed with psoriasis I had been experiencing an unusual amount of family stresses and my bronchitis had gone into mild pneumonia as well. I never made the connection between the two conditions until last year when for some reason I did not come down with my usual bronchitis. This winter is nearly over as well, and it will be the second year I did not have some type of respiratory infection. Curiously enough, sometime between now and last year my psoriasis has also been gone. My dermotologist now says my condition may not have been psoriasis afterall, because of how rare it is for the disease to go away completely.
I was particularly wondering if anyone else has noticed this correlation in their own experience, or if anyone knows any more about how repiratory problems and psoriasis are related. I'd be happy to hear anything about your experiences or what you have heard from other doctors.
Thanks a lot!!!!!!

Hello Stina87, sorry for the belayed response, I have been flat as a flake this week. pun intended.

I know of many cases where psoriasis seems to have been triggered by a severe infection of the lungs. It is not uncommon for psorisis to appear after a major accident, operation or other major traumer. I know of a number of fungal and other infections that have been misdiagnosed as psoriasis. There is NO blood test for psoriasis, the only positive diagnosis is a skin biopsy and a microscope. I know of one gentleman that was treated for psoriasis with steroids and synthetic vitamins for about 20-25 years, only to find out that he actually had a rare form of SKIN CANCER, and by that stage, it was far too late to actually help him properly... So I guess the motto of the story is to have a proper diagnosis.
Nick Balgowan.
----------------------------------------
http://www.tcgindustrial.com.au
http://www.dermaray.com
http://www.beatpsoriasis.com
----------------------------------------
Nick Balgowan
Site Admin

Re: Psoriasis and respiratory problems...

Postby BigDaddy » Sun Aug 20, 2006 10:10 pm

stina87 wrote:I was particularly wondering if anyone else has noticed this correlation in their own experience, or if anyone knows any more about how repiratory problems and psoriasis are related. I'd be happy to hear anything about your experiences or what you have heard from other doctors.
Thanks a lot!!!!!!

hi stina87 - I have not been back to the forum for a while, but reading all the new posts from people it seems rather common that a throat infection triggered psoriasis in some people, so you are probably on to something.
BigDaddy
Power ranger

Return to Psoriasis chatter