Psoriatic Arthritis-any thoughts on this?

Chat, questions, suggestions and comments about Psoriasis and psoriasis treatments go in here.

Psoriatic Arthritis-any thoughts on this?

Postby MIA » Fri Aug 25, 2006 8:26 am

Can any one give me their thoughts on Psoriatic Arthritis. It's more than likely my new diagnosis and of course meds are on the docs agenda but I'd rather not. Rather stick to advil. Nick, I know you do a lot of research, can you come up with anything? Anyone? :(
Mia C
Life's a highway and I'm speedin!
MIA

Re: Psoriatic Arthritis-any thoughts on this?

Postby Nick Balgowan » Fri Aug 25, 2006 10:44 am

MIA wrote:Can any one give me their thoughts on Psoriatic Arthritis. It's more than likely my new diagnosis and of course meds are on the docs agenda but I'd rather not. Rather stick to advil. Nick, I know you do a lot of research, can you come up with anything? Anyone? :(

Hi Mia,

The treatment for arthritic psoriasis depends on the severity of the arthritis and to a lesser extent the psoriasis. Typically you need to look at them as two separate conditions nd treat each one separately. Sometimes radiation therapy is used for severe cases, similar to chemo therapy but I don't know too much about this. There are some anti-inflamatory drugs that can be used to treat both arthritis and psoriasis at the same time, but you need to speak with your doctor about these. I know there are some drugs that were designed to treat high blood pressure and heart conditions that are also being used to treat arthritic psoriasis, because they are anti-inflammtory products. I know of some people who have taken Voltarin tablets for their arthritis that also seems to have helped their psoriasis, but I had an injured knee recently and was prescribed voltarin tables that made no different to my psoriasis - but I was interested to see if they did. Glucosomine (how ever it is spelt) seems to have a lot of press recently as a natural relief for arthritis and joint pain. I think with arthritis treatment the doctors usually start you on a mild treatment to see if you respond to that before looking at the stronger forms of treatment. But the athritis side of things it a little outside my scope of experience. I'd be interested to hear what feedback you receive from your doctor however. I hope it all goes well.
Nick Balgowan.
----------------------------------------
http://www.tcgindustrial.com.au
http://www.dermaray.com
http://www.beatpsoriasis.com
----------------------------------------
Nick Balgowan
Site Admin

Psoriatic Arthritis

Postby Maryvera » Sun Sep 24, 2006 3:58 am

There is a history of psoriasis in my husband's family - his elder sister suffered from what is sometimes known as Common P. - on knees, behind knees, elbows and long limbs; his son was diagnosed with PA, around the age of 30, after joint pain, particularly in his hands, and my husband has been treated for psoriasis of the scalp for a couple of years. Previously it had been treated as dandruff.

About 18 months ago he saw the GP. about joint swelling and pain, also mainly in the hands. At the age of 70 he half expected a diagnosis of osteo-arthritis but after lots of tests, including bloods, PA was diagnosed.

He was advised that the two principal drugs used to treat PA have some side effects but early treatment can prevent rapid progression and deterioration of the disease.

The drugs were Methotrexate and Sulphasalazine. My husband was already taking a cocktail of drugs for a heart condition and Sulphasalazine was eventually chosen.

The fact that a glass or two of wine ,or any other alchohol, could be a problem with Methotrexate might also have had something to do with the choice!

Sulphasalazine requires regular monitoring via blood tests, particularly in the early stages of treatment, because of its potential effect on liver function.

Twelve months on there have been no serious problems and no worsening of the joint problems, in fact some improvement.

My husband was given a lot of infirmative and very helpful written information about PA, treatment etc. throughout the diagnostic process through to prescribing . This came from both our GP Practice and the Consultant.

Best wishes to you in your treatment.
Maryvera

Re: Psoriatic Arthritis-any thoughts on this?

Postby caril » Thu Sep 23, 2010 7:28 pm

Psoriasis arthritis is due to weak immune system. You can boast your immune system with some product of colloidal silver or colloidal gold as it is good antibiotics. This can help you, but ask your physician before use.
caril

Return to Psoriasis chatter