smoking and psoriasis

Chat, questions, suggestions and comments about Psoriasis and psoriasis treatments go in here.

smoking and psoriasis

Postby lorna » Tue Aug 08, 2006 11:47 pm

I'm quite curious as to know if smoking can affect P. I'm a smoker and I read somewhere that smokers are at more risk. Does anyone know if this is true?

I don't know if I'd be able to give up but I'd try! :cry:

Only thing is, smoking keeps me chilled out, so I would have thought it helped?!

I'm confused!!! :? :?
lorna

Postby MIA » Wed Aug 09, 2006 8:52 am

Lorna, I work for a group of physicians who have recently told me that smoking does have a link to P. Apparently because it affects the respiratory area, you are prone to all kinds of anomalies that come with smoking, such as cough congestion asthma copd sometimes pneumonia.
I too am/was a smoker who is "on the wagon" for the UMPTEENTH time.
If you need help trying to quit, there is a new med coming out that I am willing to try but need to check out side effects and contraindictions. I've tried just about every over the counter product and am still trying to find one that works. I have willpower but only with food, cold turkey doesn't work well for me. Right now I'm eating the heck out of these cherries and hope I don't gain 50 pounds in the process. I'll follow up on the new smoke cessation med coming out and if you're interested I'll fill you in. Nick can pretty much tell you anything that triggers or irritates P and is very knowledgable about the treatment pro's and con's. If it weren't for him I would probably getting shots twice a week. :D
Mia C
Life's a highway and I'm speedin!
MIA

Re: smoking and psoriasis

Postby BigDaddy » Sat Aug 19, 2006 9:35 am

lorna wrote:I'm quite curious as to know if smoking can affect P. I'm a smoker and I read somewhere that smokers are at more risk. Does anyone know if this is true?

I don't know if I'd be able to give up but I'd try! :cry:

Only thing is, smoking keeps me chilled out, so I would have thought it helped?!

I'm confused!!! :? :?

I think cagarettes contain something like 200-250 different chemicals and poisons, I can not believe they would have a GOOD result on your psoriasis. Have you tried to stop smoking to see if your psoriasis gets any better?
BigDaddy
Power ranger

skin linked to respiratry system

Postby BigDaddy » Sat Aug 19, 2006 9:44 am

MIA wrote:Lorna, I work for a group of physicians who have recently told me that smoking does have a link to P. Apparently because it affects the respiratory area, you are prone to all kinds of anomalies that come with smoking, such as cough congestion asthma copd sometimes pneumonia.
I too am/was a smoker who is "on the wagon" for the UMPTEENTH time.
If you need help trying to quit, there is a new med coming out that I am willing to try but need to check out side effects and contraindictions. I've tried just about every over the counter product and am still trying to find one that works. I have willpower but only with food, cold turkey doesn't work well for me. Right now I'm eating the heck out of these cherries and hope I don't gain 50 pounds in the process. I'll follow up on the new smoke cessation med coming out and if you're interested I'll fill you in. Nick can pretty much tell you anything that triggers or irritates P and is very knowledgable about the treatment pro's and con's. If it weren't for him I would probably getting shots twice a week. :D

my derm told me that your skin and lungs are on the same "nerve circuit" so if something affects your lungs, it often gets manifested on your skin. food for thought if you are a smoker with psoriasis or any other skin disease for that matter.
BigDaddy
Power ranger

Return to Psoriasis chatter